1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's going on here (photo)?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by William, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William

William New Member

It prints OK until I get up on the column a little ways. I have a few of these and they all mess up in the same place. It's difficult to see, the green area is actually OK. Thanks for any ideas.

IMAG0054.jpg

2. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

I believe that many users (as me in the beginning) print too fast at sometimes too low hotend temps - resulting into hobbed bolt extruding Problems/slipping.
    I currently print PLA 0,3mm layer at 210C and 30mm/sec - 1800mm/min. And all my prints are looking great...

3. William

William New Member

I appreciate that and tried printing a little hotter but the result was sloppy. I already have my speeds set pretty slow (actually at 30 also). The print is OK, not great, but good enough. It just seem strange that it would look worse at the higher layers even though it's not doing anything different.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What temp is it printed at?

5. William

William New Member

195. I was printing at 205, but support material was too hard to remove.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What about part fan? is that running?

I think that's usually a sign of temperature, either hot or cold.

7. William

William New Member

I have the fan running the whole time. The strange thing is that it begins that section OK and then it gets bad. I can't imagine the G-code changing a setting, right?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What it looks like to me is that in the green area it's printing other stuff on the same layer. When it gets to the red area it is only printing that area so you get some layer distortion.

9. William

William New Member

The layers are exactly the same in the model until it gets half way in the red; there is support material behind it. I'm doing another test right now that has no support material on the other side. It seems that it is printing differently in the red section. If I get the same result with the current print, I'm going to try Cura and see what happens.

10. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

It may be that your hotend temp is a little too hot for that red section. You may want to increase the time per layer to let the layer cool a little bit more before laying down the next layer.

2 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Most slicers have a setting for minimum time per layer.
    Not a bad thing to try (more so if you are printing hotter than average)

12. William

William New Member

That sounds like a good idea. My filament cooling settings are shown in the image. Do they need adjusting? The original spot looks a lot better now (I'm not sure why) - I'm trying Slic3r 1.2 experimental because the support material is working much better than other versions. I was wrong about this print: it does have support material behind the column. So the trouble now shows up in the red circles. I think it's moving too fast for those smaller areas. Do you agree? Thanks!

FilamentSettings.jpg IMAG0058.jpg

FilamentSettings.jpg

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Drop the slow down value to 60 seconds.

2 people like this.
  14. William

William New Member

I will do that. Thanks!!

15. William

William New Member

The wires of the Internets must be getting crossed because I could have sworn you said 10 (and that's what my email says), but clearly you said 60. Seriously, 60 seems to help the print overall, but I don't think that addressed the problem. I can upload an image if that helps. The outside layer looks good when it goes down; is it possible that vibration from the fill is causing this? My infill speed was set at 60. Any other ideas? Thanks.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I said 10 at first (which is why your email said that), but then I realized that would be such a short layer it wouldn't work, so you actually need a LONGER time for it to run slower, if that makes sense.

I think what that's called is resonance. It should in theory get better as you slow everything down.

17. William

William New Member

I realize what took place and was thinking the same way. My attempts at humor usually fall flat. After I saw 60 I read the description more carefully and understood what it meant. I slowed the infill down and am printing now to see if that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.