1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved What's happening?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sodizzle, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Sodizzle

Sodizzle New Member

First off, I am not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but here goes nothing.

Normally I am pretty good at fixing the problems that might happen when I'm working with my printer.
    Also, sorry for the clutter on the desk.

This one has stumped me though. Somehow the X axis offsets a couple hours into a print. What would cause this?
    Ignore the edge flaring up of one of the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At first I thought the side mounted filament was snagging or maybe the bundle of wires was catching.
    [​IMG]

But with the configuration I have it in, I thought all of these problems would not be a possibility.
    [​IMG]

Now I can't sit there and watch the print run for a couple hours and see if something snags or what happens.
    If that's what needs to happen I guess I could do it, but..

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Belt slip almost certainly.

Tighten the X belt drive and sanity check the drive pinions on the motor.
    Those might be loose rather than the belt. If the drive pinion is tight on the motor shaft then it has to be the belt is loose enough to skip.

3. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Could be a bad bearing also, I had this happen, take the belt off and make sure it moves back and forth easily.

4. Sodizzle

Sodizzle New Member

I'll check that after work. Thank you for the advice!

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All of the positions for the extruder after the start are calculated.
    So if something makes the physical position of the extruder change during the print this is what you will get.
    The print will be offset by however much the print head was deflected. Anything that binds the travel of the print head or slips it will generate this sort of result. For example -- if the filament feed momentarily hung that could do it as well.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The edge flaring curling have caused the nozzle to clip on the part forcing it to torque stall and get stuck.