1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Why blue tape is always kept on hand.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AxisLab, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Earlier this year and still very much new to printing, I went to, and had a blast being part of, a large printing convention. (reprap fest)
    It wasn't until I got home and started looking at all my pictures that I realized I was one of the only people there that was still using the blue tape. That gave me a funny feeling like it wasn't "cool" to use it. That the "pros" do it straight on the bed lol.
    For the most part that is what led me to focus on printing right on the glass, with just hairspray. And I found it did work great once I got dialed in. I still do most of my printing right on glass.
    However, I don't have a heated bed and with my lab in a chilly basement, certain pieces break away way too easy sometimes if they are too tall or just don't have much of a base.

That's when I reach for my secret weapon... The tape!
    With tape and hairspray any fragile, tall, or awkward piece stick for me like cement.

For me a piece like this would be a major challenge on glass. Even everyone on thingiverse says it needs a brim/raft at the least to hold it down.

Nah!!
    Break out the tape and auquanet and I got this!

12 hour print with less than a quarter inch strip of a base and nearly 800 layers? No problem lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are curious this was the top half of the Predator Mask, the bottom is included in the picture below.

[​IMG]

I will be doing a project thread on it once I get into the sanding, priming and painting thing.

But I did want to show how effective Blue tape and Aquanet can be even when a lot of the new people like me move straight to glass, keep a roll handy for when you really mean business.

3 people like this.
  2. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

My secret weapon has been a stick of elmer's washable glue. I literally have to fight some parts off the bed it sticks so well... but cleaning it off is super easy as it dissolves in water.

3. link4044

link4044 Member

so blue tape and hairspray together?

4. AxisLab

Yup. That's what I use when I mean business.

5. link4044

link4044 Member

im trying it right now

6. AxisLab

There's an art to the first layer. Getting it pushed down just enough into the bed.

7. link4044

link4044 Member

ill work on that art now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.