1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Will PLA Clog a Stainless Steel Nozzle?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben Allgor, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

Does anyone know if PLA will clog in a stainless steel nozzle like it does brass? I just started using the nozzle, and now I am wondering if I still need to use the oiler for PLA.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The oiler certainly won't hurt, but I don't think anyone can tell you here with 100% certainty that it will help either.

3. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

That's too bad. I was hoping to save myself some trouble. Right now it is working fine without the oiler. I have a couple of more things that I need to use PLA for, and then I will try to use PETG as much as I can. In the meantime I will put the oiler on, just in case.
    Thanks.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, PLA can clog in a stainless nozzle.
    Will it clog in yours? <shrug>
    I have had brass nozzles that it will not clog in.

I just don't want to trust them ;)

5. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

I have the oiler back on it. Hopefully that will prevent problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Frankly I suspect that once it gets seasoned it stays pretty well. I don't add oil to the oilers very often. But... I really don't want to think about it. There are enough other things to pay attention to.

It drove me crazy when it started happening -- I had been printing for over a year. A nozzle change is what likely triggered it for me.

7. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

For for information only: Stainless steel has a low radiosity, that is it does not transfer heat well. While it will take a long time to wear out, you may find you need high temps to get the same results as brass does at lower temps.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

I understand that radiosity applies to radiated heat. Low radiosity could be an advantage in that the tip would lose less heat. Unfortunately the Thermal conductance is also low (or the thermal resistance is high). Stainless is 16 W/mK (Watts/meter length of path-Degree Kelvin), Brass is 109, and Copper is 401. This means there would be more temperature drop from the aluminum heat block to the filament. As you said it might require higher temerature settings. How much higher depends on what percent of the total heat path is stainless.