1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Windows 10 Upgrade???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JustinRF, Jan 21, 2016.

?

Should I upgrade?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

Hey! So, I am currently running my PC with Windows 7, and am debating the upgrade. I am ready for it, but I want to hear other people's opinions. I would have to upgrade soon anyway, but I want to see what you all say.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not a painful prospect like most other windows upgrades (since 2.x) and I actually like 10.
    I had one machine I left on 8.1 since it is running media center (which they rip out with 10)
    At some point I'll replace that little box with an Android MC and be done with it. Still, 10 is an easy and decent upgrade.
    Not a single Windows issue, yet. The only thing to bear in mind is that some features require Pro edition.
    If you upgrade windows 8.1 pro then it automatically becomes 10 pro so if you needed it you should be fine.

3. BenMac

BenMac Member

Personally, I range from neutral to hating it. I switched from Windows 7 to 10, and found that several useful shortcuts seem to be missing.

Like right clicking on a picture, then preview it with the photo viewer. It is nice for just looking at pictures. Now you can either open it with a photo editor, or use Open With to view pictures. It was a small feature, but a useful one.

I am also not a fan of the start menu for 8 or 10 on a desktop. I liked the ease of access that was available in the Windows 7 start menu for some programs. Like pinning Word allowed you to open some of your previous documents from the start menu. This isn't a horrible issue due to Classic Shell, it makes the start menu work like the one from Windows 7.

Their new browser, Edge, lacks the ability to pin frequent web sites in the right click menu. Every other browser and such has that functionality. So, the solution for that is just to use some other browser. You could say that Microsoft lost their Edge. :-D

It can also be a royal pain because they made being an admin a bit of a pain. For instance, they may the Documents folder read only on my computer. I tried changing that, but it wouldn't let me. This was a problem because several of my games had save files and such that defaulted to this folder. I eventually found a solution that worked, but it was more trouble than it should have been.

I also updated my Surface Pro tablet to 10, and it just doesn't work well. You would figure that the new OS from Microsoft would work well with a tablet from Microsoft. Nope, it actually has several drivers that just are not working. It also looks ugly, compared to Windows 8.1. The UI with 8.1 was smooth, and the skins made it easy on the eyes. Now it just is not pleasant to look at.

Generally, the who OS seems like it was made by a group of engineers, for a group; of engineers. Or at least a group of engineers trying to think about what the average person would like, and failing. Of course, this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

All of that said, it is a free update, which works. It is less painful than Linux, so that is a plus. Plus, you get Cortana (and eventually Hello). The main reasons to upgrade are because it is free, if you don't want to lose update support, or simply because you are curious.You can try it, and go back if you don't like it. I can be a bit nit-picky, so I don't know if my concerns would be yours. The only reason not to try it is because it actually would cost you money, otherwise, there is really nothing to lose.

JustinRF likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can restore the metro interface in 10 if you are so inclined (hated it myself).

WheresWaldo likes this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Anyone find any issues with 3d printing or modeling software with windows 10?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is primitive, but other than a look I haven't used it at all (I already use better tools).
    The viewer is rather nice.

8. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

I caved and upgraded.

It seems to be snappy and more fluid, especially in some games as my graphics card (GTX 970) supports DX12. I do not notice too much of a difference in Google Chrome, my browser. I used Spybot Anti-Beacon to get rid of microsoft's spying.

There is 3D modeling software and a 3D printer interface native in 10, 3D builder. Even though it is extremely hard to get used to navigating. I have not tried it.

Cura's latest version works, and Autodesk applications work. I have noticed a bit of faster generating times with the slicer, but they have always been fast because of my 6 core 12 thread Xeon.

That is another thing, the OS seems to be able to manage your hardware a lot better. Hardware acceleration actually works really well now.

What I hate? The windows store and modern apps. They feel horrible to use and clunky compared to regular desktop apps. I also miss Aero, loved it in 7. I also hate the "metro" look.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Windows 10 is really a good step forward for Microsoft, nearly all of the cons mentioned in this thread can be dealt with by proper settings, no need to replace things or add little apps that corrected some of the bigger faults of Windows 8 and 8.1. Even Metro can be driven into the background and not dealt with on a day to day basis. Windows 10 native apps are a bit clunky and standalone apps are still better in most cases, but to be honest how many of those apps would you really use. I can count on one hand the number of native Windows 10 apps I use over their standalone or web-based counterparts; Netflix, Plex, NFL on Windows, that is my entire Windows 10 library.

I also use Anti-beacon but don't really find Microsoft's data collection any more offensive than Amazon, Google or Apple's.

Are there things that are stupid, of course there is! It is someone else's vision of how a computer should operate. You learn how to either work around those functions or eventually learn to ignore them or even embrace them through repetitive use. If someone is buying a new PC or has a somewhat newer PC I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to them to do the upgrade to Windows 10. Or you can be like many others that say Windows XP was the last good OS from Microsoft. And what really are your alternatives; not every version of OSX shits rainbows, Linux (as much as I love it) will never be mainstream and it shows it's non-consumer friendly roots. I am not going back to DOS and look at all the other OS's left to die when their creators abandoned the PC space. For good or bad, it is what we have now, embrace the future instead of fearing it.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now that... is funny.
    :)

The largest issue with Linux (IMHO) is that it was not intended to be a workstation/end-user sort of OS. Sure, there are a lot of pretty wrappers around it and it CAN function that way, but it was not intended to (just like VMS for example--powerful, yes, friendly? not on a perfect day).