1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Worn nozzle, is this possible?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Arnold, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

My friend recently purchased, at my urging, a refurbished Robo 3D from here. Pictured on the left is a barely used nozzle from my Robo 3D and on the right is the nozzle of his Robo 3d. He has printed a spool holder, an ocarina, and several calibration cubes. That's is, probably less than a 1/4 kilo of PLA. Is it possible that he wore the nozzle down like this printing on masking tape, or is it more likely that he received the printer with the nozzle like this? Of course the spare nozzle in the picture on the left had the threads snapped off because I tried to tighten it just a tiny bit too much. Lesson, learned, I now have several nozzles on order. NOZZLES.png

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hard to say what might have happened. Its possible its not a correct nozzle but one that screws in from the person he got it from. I'd just replace the nozzle. You can use E3D Nozzles.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Filament wears the nozzles, not the bed or tape.
    They do wear (brass is not very hard really).

You need to change them every so often. Like tires on a car :)

Geof likes this.
  4. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

Mark, thanks for the quick reply. I can only surmise from your answer that indeed my friend must have received the refurbished printer with a garbage nozzle on it. Hopefully he has success with customer service in getting a replacement sent to him.

From my experience, I am still on my first nozzle after about 8 spools of PLA, and it still prints awesome.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PLA is one of the gentler filaments to use, there are far more abrasive ones.
    I can't speak for how much effort goes into refurbishment of the printers... I suspect "not much".
    It would likely still run a test print in that condition.

Sure, get a replacement from Robo, but as cheap as they are ... get spares :)
    If you ever want to experiment with higher detail you will want different sizes regardless.

6. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

I have several spares on order now, and I will share with him. I'm slowly building up a spare parts inventory, fans, hot end, nozzles, heat bed, etc.. lol. I'm still in awe what this printer will do!

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.