1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Would this be a feed rate issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Lockwood, Jun 7, 2016.

1. David Lockwood

I am still on my quest for a full day of 3D printing without a filament jam, axis misalignment or some other strange goings-on. The problem I'm having now is that when I start a print all goes well for about 10 cm of filament. Then the print starts to peter out and within a few seconds no more material is extruded. There then starts a series if clicking sounds. I quickly discovered what those sounds were. Filament was continuing to be pushed through the cold end but then cannot proceed to the heatsink an on to the nozzle. It just piles up. When I clean it out and bring the extruder back up to temp I can press what seems an unlimited quantity of material by hand. My first thought was the feed rate had, for some unfathomable reason, gone out of wack (to use the technical term).
    I reviewed Tom Sanlader's youtube video on feed rate calibration and took careful notes. He says to send the gcode M503 to get the extruder's current rate setting. When I do this I get the PID numbers back! I have a "cheat sheet" of gcodes but it is far from all inclusive. Is there a source of gcodes I can refer to?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not a source that I know of. Is your small fan running on the extruded? Is this pla? Do you use an oiler?

3. David Lockwood

Yes, I'm using an oiler and the fan is running. I'm still using only PLA and will likely do so until I can get all these bugs ironed out.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

We (obviously) have the Marlin flavor.

If it is clogging that badly in the extruder nozzle I would check the temperature graph to make sure it is not fluctuating (like perhaps a bad heater core). I assume you already know if the fan that cools the hotend itself is running full-tilt (because otherwise you will get heat creep and that looks exactly like what you describe).

Which hotend is this?

Geof likes this.