1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved X-Axis Disappeared

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bulldog3D, Apr 3, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a good idea, mine came with stepper drivers on all of the channels (including one on E1).

2. Bulldog3D

Bulldog3D New Member

I've isolated that portion in the code, but two flashes/tries later, I'm getting nothing.

Here's what I changed in "if motherboard == 21":

#undef X_STEP_PIN
    #undef X_DIR_PIN
    #undef X_ENABLE_PIN
    #undef X_MIN_PIN
    #undef X_MAX_PIN

#define X_STEP_PIN 36
    #define X_DIR_PIN 34
    #define X_ENABLE_PIN 30
    #define X_MIN_PIN 3
    #define X_MAX_PIN -1 //2

****Break****

So I input these with no success, first using the pair of blocks, then using just the second. Nothing.

This should work, so maybe I'm not getting my pin assignments correct?

Hardware wise, all I have to do is switch the motor plug and stepper driver over to the new E1 connection. Worst case, I'd have to fiddle with the wire locations within the plug, but E1 and X both align pin-name wise....

Suggestions?

3. Bulldog3D

Bulldog3D New Member

I also checked the voltages on the pins on the X stepper while plugged into the X location. According to reprap.org, I needed 12 volts on VMOT, VDD, DIR, EN gets 5V and spiking on STEP under load. So the weirdest thing about that is that's what I got. That means power to the pins for the X stepper are fine. Hell, every pin for the final output to the stepper motor harness reads 12 volts just like the other axes. That points me toward the motor, but again, when I swap the X harness to Y location, the motor locks up and moves side to side, albeit in the wrong direction...

Hmmmm.... I'm gonna get this little punk.

#23 Bulldog3D, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. Bulldog3D

Bulldog3D New Member

GOT IT!!!

Just took some sleuthing around. I found that I was replacing under the wrong definition if motherboard==77.

For those of you who need to replace any axis/stepper location on your RAMPS 1.4/Arduino MEGA 2560:

1. Unplug all cables to your printer.
    2. Go to arduino.cc and download latest version of software.
    3. Go to help.robo3dprinter.com/wiki/robo_3d_firmware and download the appropriate file.
    4. Follow all the steps at the site in step 3 EXCEPT:
    Before you upload your firmware, make these hardware and software alterations:
    4.a. Unplug the unresponsive axis Pololu stepper driver and the motor harness.
    4.b. Locate the E1 driver location. Place your Pololu stepper driver and motor harness into the respective new locations.
    *******Although the X axis motor wiring works directly, other axes may not. Confirm your wire location at the input from the RAMPS 1.4 before getting too frustrated. You'll notice it's off if your axis moves (-) on a (+) command. ******
    4.c. Open your pin.h file in Arduino and do a quick search for "Arduino Mega pin assignment". Under this heading, which is a comment of course and not actual code, you will find several "motherboard == XX" definitions. Unless your board is defined as "77" (mine is a 33, which I'm thinking all ROBO 3D R1s with auto level will be), scroll to the bottom of the block where it says "#else" and begins to define X axis.
    4.d. Replace all the lines for the Axis that you want to define with the following (mine was X axis in this case):

#define X_STEP_PIN 36 //54 old value for reference
    #define X_DIR_PIN 34 //55 old value for reference
    #define X_ENABLE_PIN 30 //38 old value for reference

4.e. You shouldn't have to replace your min/max pin values, just keep those as is. NOTE: I kept the old pin values in comment just to make things easier if I ever need to replace my boards or anything. X values are 54, 55, 38 respectively and will differ for other axes.

5. Now complete the install of the code by continuing to follow the wiki site mentioned in step 3.

Hope this helps!! I'm going to go celebrate by fixing the couplings now.

Huge thanks to Mike Kelly and Mark Tomlinson!

#24 Bulldog3D, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.