1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered X-axis goes way too far to the left

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tiburon, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Tiburon

Tiburon New Member

ok this is a weird one.

I just got the printer and have gone through the auto-leveling, etc. Everything was working great for a week. Today i'm trying to print and the autolevel doesn't work. In fact, when i click 'print', it takes the x axis ALL the way to the left and in fact keeps trying to go left, making a terrible rumbling sound as it keeps on going and going although it has hit the x-limit. Then it stops and raises the z axis up a couple inches, which is clearly not where it should begin printing. i think i totally messed up my homing position.

It's entirely possible that i accidentally clicked on a setting somewhere but can't for the life of me see where that would be. i have noticed that in the Controls -> Movement Controls the X axis buttons are not highlighted but the Y and Z buttons are. Not sure if that matters. would really appreciate any help....

thanks in advance....

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Send M119 gcode and see what it reports for the stops/limit switches. Try manually closing the X Limit and do that again.
    It should change... If not check the X axis limit with a meter -- turn the power off and read it with an ohm meter. See if it opens and closes (resistance should go from high to low if the switch is working). If it is working trace it back to the board under the printer. Make sure it did not get disconnected (check them all while you are under there).

3. Tiburon

Tiburon New Member

ok, did that and i saw the below values:
    x - open
    y- open
    z- triggered

then when i manually click the x switch while entering M119 and it shows
    x - triggered
    y- open
    z-triggered

the important (dumb) part i noticed was that the left side of the x axis bar was not level. it was somehow riding up on top of the bolt that is on z axis screw! i guess maybe i took the z axis too low at some point, perhaps causing this. So i reset it all in place. now when i click print, at least the x axis limit is triggered so it now knows it's left hand side boundary.

but now immediately following that, the z axis goes almost all the way to the top to start the print job. It doesn't seem to know it's wayyy too high. how do i reset that or preferably just re-do the whole auto-leveling program so it resets back to normal?

THANKS again!

4. Tiburon

Tiburon New Member

i figured out how to display the print wizard in the Configure menu. when it asks me to adjust z down to the paper, after only a click or two it says it can't go any lower. but it's still allll the way at the top of the printer. how can i get it to go back to 'sea level'?

5. Tiburon

Tiburon New Member

i managed to get it to go through the config, with the extruder just applying a bit of pressure against the sheet of paper. but when i print a test calibration box, it doesn't seem to do an autolevel and the z axis climbs about 6 inches up even though it should be very low. any ideas? thx.....

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. torga

torga New Member

Hi, I was wondering one of you could help! I'm having an issue during the 9-point autolevel where the extruder carriage wants to keep going in the +X direction and is causing a horrible groaning/chattering noise.
    I entered in M119 with the carraige in the center of the bed and got:

x_min: triggered
    y_min: open
    z_min: open

The Z was resting on the stops. I raised the carriage and entered M119 again and now Z is triggered. I moved the table to the stop and then Y became triggered. I pressed the X stop and it stays triggered. So there must be something wrong with it or the wire feeding it.
    How could I go about checking if it is either?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Read it resistance with a meter both untriggered and triggered (with power off of course). If the resistance does not change -- bad switch.
    Trace the wires back to the RAMPS and make sure nothing is disconnected.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Loose connection. Most likely one of the terminals popped off the X switch. Check closely and follow the wire to the ramps and look for any disconnect points.

10. torga

torga New Member

So I checked the switch itself with a multimeter - it's fine. Followed the wires and made sure there were no disconnections,made sure all the connections were solid while I was inside, and made sure the blade connectors for the switch were crimped. I'm about to button the bottom back in, but I was careless when I removed it and didn't notice where the fan that cools the board was connected. It's either the 2-prong by a tiny capacitor, or the 3-prong right above it. Once I get that plugged in, I'll start 'er up and hope for the best.

Edit: Got it! Looked up the wiring diagram on the RepRap wiki and plugged the fan into the 12V aux. X, Y, Z stops are reading just fine.

#10 torga, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015