1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X-axis layer shifting and broken top layers.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. I've rebuilt my printer from the ground up an an effort to fight the issues I've been having and so far I've been making progress! I got it to print one full print! A vase where the only defect were strange little nodules of plastic on the inner corners. I'll make a post about that in the future when I get some pictures.

On the second print I tried, I had some quite nasty x-axis shifting. I checked that bolt securing the bearing on the opposite side to the motor that people mentioned in other posts. The best seems perfectly tight and the shifting only occurs at an exact height when I print with infill. The vase I printed was taller but did not have a layer shifting problem.

The second defect with the print was that the top few layers were quite broken. I've experienced this before but overcame it somehow. Now I've forgotten how I did that so I'm hoping someone here can suggest something.

To get over the things I know people will say straight off:
    Yes the belts are all tight,
    Yes the extruder is calibrated,
    The filament is brand new from a quality supplier,
    The extruder was seasoned today and I'm using an oiler.

I also can't use Repetier to try a different slicer since if I check the 'cooling' box, it won't calculate the time for the print and it decreases any speed setting to 5mm/s. I've tried reinstalling it, installing an older version and installing it on a different laptop all with the same effect.

Attached Files:

2. Oisin

Oisin Member

Sorry for the bump. It'd be nice to get some ideas on this! The shifting is pretty odd. I'm going to try Repetier anyway, despite the bugs I described. I'm almost sure it's something to do with infill. Hollow pieces are not affected at all no matter how tall they are.

The print with Repetier is currently underway, with a time of -55 seconds left!

3. Doorcracker

Doorcracker New Member

Check your toplayer fill for the hole problem and your mm/s print speed, and extrution multiplyer. there are more things then the 3 i wrote that can mess up the top layer. As for the shiftings it can be that you are going to fast and the steppermotors are skipping steps
    due to to loose drivebelt, your steppermotors are not getting sufficent ampere/volts from the ramps/Polulu, dont remember the name, i dont know how much the Robo whants but my Velleman K8200 whants 0.55v and my 3KU Delta whants 0.92v There are some threads about that in the forum i think.

Skickat från min GT-N7105 via Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Two options are all you face.
    (1) Softwre problem
    (2) Hardware problem*

If it is #1 trying other software is your only option.
    If it is #2 it is isolated to a single Axis (X according to you) so it can only be a problem with a loose belt or a drive cog/pulley on the drive motor shaft or Electronics (and it doesn't act like electronics). If you have absolutely ruled out a mechanical drive issue then tuning the Pololu stepper driver is the next suggestion (for that specific axis).

*I will bundle in 'communications problem' here with hardware, but it doesn't seem to be that either if it is consistent. You can eliminate that by printing from the SD card.

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

Doorcracker:

The issue doesn't occur at all on flat surfaces. It comes out perfectly then. My print speed is 30mm/s and my multiplier is 105. My extruder is calibrated properly, but I still wanted that extra 5%, just to be safe. My acceleration is at 90mm/s.

Mark:

The Repetier print I mentioned in the last post didn't go so well. It's not the the layer shifting occurred, it's that the print quality was just bad and it peeled off the bed so I just went back to Cura.

I only said it was the X axis as the model in the photos was printed with the eyes facing the front of the printer. The shift is right to left, so that's the x-axis, right?

It could be a communication error, I suppose. I've never had that problem with this setup but the laptop I'm using is very weak.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cura is fine. Let's rule out software for the moment (if MC were involved that would not be possible).

Yes, that is correct.

Check the communications log. Not sure exactly where that is in Cura, but if it shows any errors during the print we can dig into those.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And I am only focusing on the abrupt shift in the print. No sense dealing with the other yet.

8. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok, a little update. I tried printing something with no infill and it did the shift. It was much smaller, but still present. Should I just re-tighten the x-axis manually just to be safe? It's the only part of the printer I haven't actually rebuilt or touched.

I looked for thecura communications log but I couldn't find it. I'll try printing with the SD card too.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If printing with the SD card fails that seems to be your best choice.
    I know the belts might seem tight, but this is a a totally undescribable analog measurement :)
    Best I can say when asked 'how tight the belts need to be" is always "tighter than I thought".

I modified mine to have a ziptie that anchors it and tightening is easily done in small increments (a few clicks of the ziptie).

#9 mark tomlinson, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  10. Oisin

Oisin Member

I'll have to put everything on hold for now. The damned printer has broken again. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for some new parts before I can continue.

11. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok. I got the parts. I tightened the belts but the shift is still present. I'm lost for things to try now.