1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered X axis locking up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris Sweeney, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Chris Sweeney

Chris Sweeney Member

I have had my printer for a month now, and the x axis suddenly started locking up mid print. Even when the printer is of and I am hand jogging it, it has a lot of resistance to movement. Is there a lubricant I should use? Or is it the bearings being bad?

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Probably a bad bearing or two.

You will need to remove the x-carriage to take a look. If it is the case submit a replacement part request and lube all the moving parts up with lithium grease or some other suitable lubricant, NOT WD-40.

3. bryson bishop

bryson bishop Member

i had the same problem and they had to send me a brand new printer because the bearing were bad in the x axis i made a skype appointment and had them look at it and they said it would just be easier for them to send me a new printer than for me to try and replace the bearings myself.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You could try putting some sewing machine oil on the rod to lubricate the bearing, but if it's spun you'll need to swap in new bearings or carriage

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, they bearings they sent me (new) with the bed upgrade were bad (not all of them mind you, but more than one).
    Have them replace them or buy some new ones.

bryson bishop likes this.
  6. Chris Sweeney

Chris Sweeney Member

Sorry for the late reply,but I got some lubricant an it seems to move easier. I did some test prints and it isn't locking up anymore. A theory I have is that some hairspray may have gotten stuck on the metal rods. I wiped them clean and lubricated again and they seem fine. Thanks for all the great recommendations!!!

7. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Also check the actual size of your rods. They had some with over-sized rods get out and the bearings are too tight on them ruining the bearings. If you have either vernier calipers or micrometer is the best way to check the rod sizes.