1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X Axis Not Homing or Moving

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Red Submarine, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

I've been having some rotten luck with my printer lately. It all started when my power connector shorted on my ramps board. Long story short, I've been through a couple cheap ramps boards and drivers and now I have one that "should work".

My problem is that the X axis is not homing or even moving during printing. It worked initially and tried to home X but just kept going, past 0, so it was skipping teeth on the belt until I shut it off. Since then it doesn't even try to home the X axis. It just homes Y and Z then clears the head and starts printing but when it prints it doesn't move the X at all, almost like it has forgotten the X axis all together. I've tried 2 different versions of Marlin with no luck. Everything is plugged in correctly. Has anyone encountered this? Could it be my X axis driver?

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

x stepper work at all?

3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

It could be the driver. Try swapping one of your other steppers to the driver location and tell it to move some small distance. That will tell you quickly.

Double check the wiring on the end stop for the x-axis limit switch too. M119 will tell you the condition of your end stops.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You should run, not walk to the printer and do that one -- easy and will tell you a lot.

5. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

Thanks for the quick responses. To be clear, it did home X one time but didn't sense the end stop and tried to keep going so I shut it off. Since then there's been no movement.

I will swap drivers and see if that works. I'll also see if the Y motor works plugged into the X stepper spot. Where is M119? Is that where the end stops are plugged in?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would suggest manually moving the print head to the center of the bed and then doing the m119. You can see that it thinks they are all open. Then manually (with your fingers) close the switches and reissue the m119 and they should show triggered one-by-one as you test them.