1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved XXL LCD controller and RAMPS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jim K, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim K

Jim K Member

Having issues getting my XXL to play nice with replacement RAMPS boards. My current setup is a RioRand RAMPS, a stock Robo Arduino and nothing connected to the USB. I'm using the 8GB SD card that came with the XXL and have also tried a 2GB SD. The XXL main screen indicates that it recognizes an SD card is inserted but on the next screen it indicates "No SD card". Otherwise, everything else functions properly.

The SD It works fine when connected to the original Robo RAMPS, which is a spare parts board due to other issues. It only works occasionally with my first cheapo replacement (Geeetech) RAMPS, which is otherwise a useless board.

Thoughts?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like a loose connection to me. A multimeter checking continuity between the pins would be a good place to start

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

All of the signals and power for the SD Card are on the connector circled in the pic.

Of course there may also be an intermittent connection issue with the flat cable connectors between the Ramps and the LCD or on the pins between the Ramps and the Arduino underneath.

Ramps-9TL.jpg

4. Jim K

Jim K Member

Yeah, it must just be something wrong with this particular RAMPS board. I even tried swapping out the Arduino tonight but no change.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nothing is better than testing with a multimeter :) Better than guessing by a long shot.

They're like $6 from harbor freight and an essential home tool imo

6. Jim K

Jim K Member

Ok, I'm still pulling my hair out trying to find a replacement RAMPS that'll function 100%. I just popped in my 3rd replacement RAMPS. The good news is my XXL recognizes the SD card now. But similar to my 1st replacement board, which can only drive the X stepper in one direction, this RAMPS can only drive the Y stepper in one direction.

When I revert back to my 2nd replacement board there are no issues with driving the steppers. Am I just unlucky to be 0 for 3 with my replacements, or am I missing something?

Going Crazy!

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Is it catching? I'm confused by your description. Perhaps a video of the issue.

8. Jim K

Jim K Member

No. It's something about the Y axis circuit on the RAMPS because if I plug my X stepper motor into that "port" it will only move in one direction too. I tried moving the stepper drivers around to see if the problem followed one, but no change. Have you heard issues with some RAMPS having different pin configurations that could be resolved by redefining pin assignments in firmware?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

No ramps is open source and standard. I don't understand the issue at all and am having trouble visualizing it with your description. A video would be much appreciated.

The issue might be with a loose pin on the arduino.

Looking at the circuit diagram, Y_dir is one pin, so if it works in one direction it would work in both

#9 Mike Kelly, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure where you are sourcing the RAMPS from, but they do vary a bit in quality.
    Usually the Ardunio is more quality sensitive, but you might just have gotten (un)lucky.

11. Jim K

Jim K Member

Finally resolved it! I reverted back to my replacement (RioRand) Arduino coupled with my #3 RAMPS and life is good again. The only thing I can think of is my stock Robo Arduino must have been functioning "on the edge". I'm still baffled as to why the RioRand RAMPS couldn't see the SD card when it was coupled with the RioRand Arduino but my #2 RAMPS would.

Oh well, now I have more spare components that I can re-purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.