1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Y Axis Completely Shot on my R1!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Guille, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Guille

Guille New Member

Both rods are severely scratched. Movement back and forth is very difficult and it makes rubbing noises. So, I need to replace the linear bearings and the rods. But, I can't get the 6 screws off the plastic part that holds down the bearings. I can turn any of the screws all day but it won't move vertically at all. Any suggestions? Am I going to need a power tool here?

I know I can get the parts from Robo but are there any other vendors that have the correct size rod and bearings? The plastic carriage part broke at the end while I was removing the rod. I will definitely need a replacement for that from Robo. Although I will try super glue.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Pretty sure they have nuts on the back (under the bed/printer).

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might be able to print some of the parts if you can rig it up to at least work.
    Print slowly if needed.

4. Guille

Guille New Member

Yep, there are nuts at the bottom holding it. I placed the order with Robo for the replacement parts. How quick are they at shipping stuff out? I would like to get my printer running in a matter of days - not weeks. The LM8UU bearings are easy to get and I can fix the plastic part. But the linear rod seems a bit hard to find at the exact size. Robo doesn't have that part on their web page.

5. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Just email them. Jerry is really good at replying

6. Guille

Guille New Member

I received the new rods and linear bearings. I also purchased some extra linear bearings from Amazon. The bearings will travel smoothly on the rods if I move them up and down by hand. But, when I screw the whole thing together it does not move smoothly at all. It makes a loud rubbing noise and vibration. I'm using Super Lube synthetic grease. I tried 3-1 oil and that was worse. In that case it makes a loud rolling noise and vibration. Looks to me like the bearings are not aligned? This could be why it failed the first time around - severely scratching the old rods? I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Most linear bearings need no (additional) lube (at least not short term) but I agree the ones they sent for my bed upgrade were poor. If you bought new ones from Amazon hopefully they were decent quality.

Perhaps the mounts are not even and this is causing them to bind. Mine were a small bit uneven (shimmed them) but I don't think in my case it was enough to make the rod travel incorrect even before I added the shim steel. Make sure the mounts (where the bearings are located) are flush and even.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If the bearing is spun you'd need to replace it. Oil helps only if the bearings are still in position and not damaged