1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-axis drawer slide replacement options?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by SPyKER, Apr 3, 2017.

1. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

I know they are out there, but what is the most reliable replacement? I should be completing the rebuild this week, and that is going to be one of the first things I attempt to replace after getting my printer printing.

There are a lot out there, but most seem to be for the R1 after they replaced the drawer slides already. If I have to precision drill, so be it, but I prefer not to have to replace that thick black platform.

Sean

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Either of those should work, they completely rebuild the Y axis so just throw away the drawer slides and use the parts from that to rebuild it.

Big difference (bed wise) is that the wooden or delrin chassis/plates are gone and all you have are the linear rods with the glass plate on them.

4. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

I also saw this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:211965
    I was thinking that I could take the dimensions of that baseplate with two holes, create a plate as wide as the pillow blocks on Mike Kelly's version, and add the holes from that one to have a drilling template. I could then mount the plate drill the six new holes with my drill press, rinse and repeat for the other side.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You do not have to make the bed out of glass either.
    Aluminum is a fine choice if you get a good flat sheet :)