1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis Issue (with pic)?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by William, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William

William New Member

This nine hour print almost succeeded. Can anyone tell me what could have gone wrong. Is it possible the printer is sliding on the table (doesn't take a lot) during some somewhat violent steps? Thanks!!
    IMAG0867.jpg

2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

The three most common cause in my experience are: 1) plastic bump on previous layer(s) knocks carriage off axis , and 2) x or y belt tension is incorrect, and 3) belt pulleys are loose. For the x, a simple belt tensioner is two cable ties about 2 inches apart at the middle of the belt (hot end carriage centered) connected by a third cable tie that can be used to increase tension as needed. For the y, you need to remove the bed to adjust tension by taking up one tooth, or two maybe, of the belt by repositioning on the bracket that holds the belt to the bed.
    While you are under there, make sure the pulley is tight to the stepper and seated on the flat edge of the stepper. Check the same thing up on the x pulley as well. Once those things are good, you should be too!
    Good luck!
    Dean

3. William

William New Member

Thanks Dean. It's strange that it would print well for 7 hours and then slide for 10 layers and then finish the last 30 layers OK. I have nothing left; I really needed this to work.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It might be stringing and catching on the print. Maybe try a brim + ooze guard?

5. William

William New Member

The print is on so well I risk breaking it to remove it. What's an ooze guard? BTW I don't have a fan directed at the print (I do have one on the hotend). Would the fan help the stinging (which is really a small issue at this point)? I printed a fan support, but screw holes didn't match the fan. This thing is inching toward the the trash bin; I can't endure another failed print.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Do all prints do this?
    I would still suspect a belt jump as the issue here.
    Sliding on the table will not affect the print (although falling off will).

7. William

William New Member

I haven't taken the bed off. Is a belt jump a one-time issue or is there something to look for that would cause it? The belt is very tight, but I'll check the pulleys when I can get a better attitude. I'm curious how the falling off the table might affect things though.

8. William

William New Member

Let me ask the few that are following this thread a question that might seem a little bizarre.

Do you think there would be interest in folks printing my components and shipping them with my FedEx account in exchange for a free product (travel chess set) once it's on the market? There are 40 parts that need printing, ranging from small chess pieces to the chess board. Let me know your thoughts please.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It would knock a lot of things loose (potentially). The belt alone being loose is not the only thing that can cause this. If the pulleys are loose on the shaft (and I had some that were) it will behave exactly like belt slop. When they slip it would cause this same issue.

10. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I use am exacto knife sometimes to get prints off when they stick too much. Start off by finding a weak place to put the knife and work your way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.