1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis shifts during print, then keeps shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nick Wernicke, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Wernicke

Nick Wernicke New Member

My Y-axis shifts during a print, then keeps on shifting each layer. I tried slowing the print WAY down, but the belt still somehow gets off a tooth. This is ultimate frustration because I JUST tuned the exact adjustment of the Z-axis stop screw to where abs starts sticking to the bed. Now I need to take it apart to play with the belt.

I think there are two parts to the solution:
    • Instructions on how to tighten the Y-axis belt
    • What are the proper acceleration settings?
    Does anyone know where I can find these?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Most people do just find with default speeds.

Your Y belt/pulley is likely loose.

Here's their video on how to assemble the build platform, use this as a guide to understand how to tighten the y axis belt.

skip to around 7 minutes

Also verify that your y pulley's set screws are properly aligned with the flat spots on the drive shaft.

3. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

I've suddenly started having this issue as well. My belt is tight, plucks like a guitar, but not so tight it doesn't bend at all. It is inconsistent which direction it will skip or by how much: usually only a few mm, but I once had it skip a full cm, almost 1.5.
    I have a suspicion that this may be related to my other post about high quality prints being torn off at about 6cm: at the point where it starts the shell it seems to build up an excess of plastic: I wonder if it is occasionally catching even before my 6cm note, just enough to cause the belt to skip. I don't think it has happened with a regular 0.3mm print since I tightened my belt, only the 0.1mm I've been trying.
    I'm going to try randomizing the starting points, see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, is there advice on what to look for for a skipping print like this? Other than the belt, which I know is tight.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make DDS (double durn sure) all of the sprockets are tight. My Y axis slip was due to the sprocket on the Y drive motor slipping. Not the belt itself.

5. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

It is definitely skipping because it is getting caught; I watched it move across, get stuck on an edge that had curled up a little bit, and then proceed to not be in the right place at all. 0.3mm prints have never failed, presumably because each layer rises enough that it can't catch.
    So I'm down to printing 0.3mm again, I guess. Although looking at it the edge doesn't appear to be curling up at all the way it does with 0.1mm. I'll try to get a video.
    What are some of the things I can look at here? I'm using PLA with 195/180. Should I try lower temperatures? Higher?

edit: the magic search term appears to be "overhang curling". Found a bunch of tips including increasing the temperature and more powerful cooling. I will try both in stages and see if my results improve.

6. Hockeyjoe21

Hockeyjoe21 New Member

@wizardstan
    I have the same issue. However, when I search for "Overhang curling" I only see this thread. Any specific threads you found that helped you?

7. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

Google results.
    This thread in particular mentions higher temperature and cooling fan. I did some additional searches on the recommended temperature of PLA and a few suggested not going below 200. I did a print at 200 and am now doing one at 210 and am still getting some overhang curl but not nearly as much as I was. I'm going to get a hair drier with a "blow cold" setting and set it up during the crucial points in the print, see if that makes any difference. If so I'll investigate improving the actual cooling fan in some way, more power or a funnel or something.

8. Hockeyjoe21

Hockeyjoe21 New Member

Got to love Google. I thought you meant this forum in your previous post. Thanks for the link!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.