1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Y axis Stepper motor Specs ? Y axis problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robotron, May 11, 2017.

1. Robotron

Robotron New Member

Am having problems with my Y-axis. It goes in one direction and not the other. I replaced the stepper drivers/ramps and Arduino. The Y axis problem still existed. When calibrating the stepper driver i felt the Y axis stepper driver heating up more then the other drivers. Not knowing the exact motor specs. I researched and then went on and purchased a Nema 17 42mm Stepper Motor 37oz.in 12V 0.4A ( Motor Link: http://tinyurl.com/n8hc2p8 ) now this new motor does not work correctly. The Nema 17 goes forward then bounces back each time i go Y+ / Y-. If anyone knows the motors specs and has a link to purchase that would help. Also, if you could tell me why the motor i purchased does not work, that would be appreciated.

#1 Robotron, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

These have been linked on this forums a number of times (so a search will turn them up):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEXSCE8

Far more torque than the one you referenced (at least the ones you bought have the correct step angle so the firmware will work with them).

Although the torque being less may not be the ultimate problem. You should try the original stepper motor on a different AXIS for the RAMPS. Since it is/was your Y motor see if connecting your original Y motor to the X stepper driver gets it to work. You really need to rule out the stepper driver and the RAMPS itself since the stepper is not the most common thing to die. If it does not work on the X axis then -- yep. Bad stepper.

Geof likes this.