1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y belt end bracket securing technique

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tesseract, Nov 25, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

This is the actual mod I have talked a couple people through but found it a bit difficult to explain what I was seeing so here i will describe it and since I had to take my bed apart to fix an issue it was a good time to get a decent picture of what I was talking about.

I can not take credit for this mod as Harry described it to me and where he got it I am not sure so it could be his

To the mod ,people have been having issue with the Y belt getting loose and found it difficult to get tight and when they finally did maange to get it tightened and put back together have it slip again and become loose this will prevent that from happening ever again the only way it will ever get loose again is if you take it apart (which is easy) or the belt itself breaks other than that it isn't moving again.

How teh bracket works is the is a pin in the back of the piece and leading to this pin is a walled area the belt actually slides into it is wide enough for two layers of belt to slide in. A loop is made in the belt and the end of the loop is placed around the pin and the sides of the belt are pressed tightly together and slid into that walled area. So in effect the belt goes into the end piece goes around the pin and comes back out and normally the belt was pressed so tightly in place that it could not move. This was the original design and sadly it does fail enven when done completely perfectly the belt can and does slip.

The mod fixes that and is simply a tie wrap placed around both side of the belt right and the end of the walled area when cinched together the teeth of the belt interlock and can not slip out of position
    2013-11-25 23.14.35.jpg 2013-11-25 23.14.58.jpg

Without the zip tie in place there is not enough pressure to keep the belt from slipping permanently the zip tie lets you put enough pressure on the to keep the teeth from slipping because they are pressed together so the belt will never slip

Another trick when working on bed related issues if you need to remove the belt from the pulley system take the end pieces of the bed do not take the belt of the end pieces unless you need to (for example in a belt adjustment) and then only do one side.

To replace them place one screw in the end pieces and into the bed and then use lever action to align the second hole it is much easier the pulling the belt taught and trying to fit both screws in at the same time.

Good luck with this one it does work very well

4 people like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Great idea. I will add that mod to the list next time the bed comes off.