1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Z axis calibration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mbisjr23, May 28, 2015.

1. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

so been working bugs out with my printer lately. made some decent progress, down to one last issue. I printed a 20mm calibration cube. it measured 20.01(x)x20.01(y)x20.85(z). is this to minimal difference to attempt to calibrate and if I should, how do I calibrate the z axis?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a setting in the firmware for Z steps per MM just like the other axis.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am not sure what tolerances you need, but that is going to be hard to improve.

4. Mbisjr23

Mbisjr23 Member

yea, I wasn't sure if that was bout what the printer will do or something I needed to fix. just couldn't stay away from the printer, lol. I seem to have gotten it going though. one of the problems I realized in s3d with pla at least was when the print would start, the cooling fan would shut off pulling the print in all different directions. another was the temps were set too low. even though I would change the temp in the machine controls window. when a print started, the temp would keep dropping. think my eyes are permanently crossed from staring at settings for weeks. cant wait for my e3d to come in tomorrow

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You don't calibrate the X Y and Z axis, they are a calculated value based on thread pitch and the number of teeth.