1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z-Axis Challenge

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Steve Marco, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Marco

Steve Marco New Member

Good afternoon!
    Just got my New R1 and have an issue. I had a test print that went perfectly, but with the next one I started having issues.

Regardless of whether I set the printer to Home near the bed or not, every time I print, the Z axis goes to the middle of the printer and then starts the print out into space. This happens whether I auto level or not. I tried to lower the extruder with the screws but it didn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Steve

2. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Did you update your firmware. If you did revert back to your old firmware. If that is not the case check your end stop wires on the z axis and see if they broke at the solder point, will your at it do a whole inspection of the machine and make sure all the screws and wires are properly fastened. Also remember to add the G29 code into the gcode for the auto bed leveling to work properly(here is a link on how to do that second to last photo box 9 )

2 people like this.
  3. Steve Marco

Steve Marco New Member

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm having trouble locating the end stop on the Z axis. I understood it to be on the second vertical rail on the right side when facing the printer. I thought it would look the same as the x axis one. I don't see it at all. Is it possible it's missing?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Steve Marco

Steve Marco New Member

Thanks. My printer doesn't have that. Does it make sense that the z axis stop should be on the auto leveling R1 version? (sorry for the rookie question, but I want to make sure before I contact tech support.)

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes, if your printer homes by touching the build plate with the nozzle you have the auto-level.

7. TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan New Member

I just started having this issue today. I thought it was an issue with Simplify3d because it was my first time using it. I switched back over to Matter Control and did a calibration and had the same issue when doing a test print. Any ideas?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Don't use the automatic printer leveling feature in mattercontrol

9. TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan New Member

Thanks for the reply. I resolved the issue by manually adjusting the right Z axis rod. It was off somehow. I was just curious why you suggested not using the leveling feature in Mattercontrol?

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Because they don't suggest using it anymore. I personally never got it working and it was more or less a hat on a hat with the marlin firmware autoleveling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.