1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Z-axis drags across previous layer.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin Mc, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oisin Mc

Oisin Mc New Member

Hi! I've searched the forums and the internet to find a solution to this but I'm coming up empty handed. Sorry if I missed anything and this is a repost!

My extruder head drags along the previous layer when it's moving. I use Repetier and I have it set to move the z-axis upwards when retracting (which it should do each time it moves). This is fine sometimes but for some reason it doesn't retract on long movements, so the z-axis stays at the same level and drags across the print. I've watched the gears. They don't move at all on long movements.

Someone in a different thread has the same problem and said it was due to over-extruding. How would lowering the extrusion multiplier help if the z axis doesn't move? Surely it will still drag. If I lower the extrusion multiplier, not enough material is extruded for the first layer and the print doesn't stick to the bed.

#1 Oisin Mc, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

are you using windows 8.1?

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What's your z steps per mm in the eeprom settings

4. Oisin Mc

Oisin Mc New Member

I am using Windows 8.1

5. Oisin Mc

Oisin Mc New Member

2560 steps per mm. What I've done so far is have the printer raise the z-axis on each retraction. I then set the minimum travel distance for retraction to occur to 0mm. It's noisy as hell (constant z axis movement) but it works so far. Is there an alternative method?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm a bit confused. Any way we can see a video?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Most slicers have a setting to tell it to avoid crossing perimeters whenever possible

8. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Slic3r has that option, I think it's on the tab with the perimeter and layer settings. If this is enabled in Slic3r it slices a lot slower, there's a tooltip that says so too. I have the option off for this reason and it's slicing speed is comparable to S3D.

9. Oisin Mc

Oisin Mc New Member

I don't think I can get video footage of it at the moment. But I did take some pictures of the result if that's of any use (sorry for the potato-quality). WB1FE2k.jpg WY1MVrU.jpg YlkDxgc.jpg

10. Oisin Mc

Oisin Mc New Member

So that's what that does. I'm new to this. So ticking that box will make the print head circumnavigate the print rather than cross over it?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Enable lift on non printing movements.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It will make it (the slicer) prefer to NOT do that if possible :)

The slicer is generating the toolpaths and may still have to cross the occasional perimeter (depends on slicer used) but it will normally avoid that in the case where that is set.

P.S. @Mike Kelly has also indicated another good option to help avoid such collisions. Sometimes that can help even more since occasionally you get a bit of curl when putting down a layer and this setting will help avoid running into it.

13. Oisin Mc

Oisin Mc New Member

That definitely sounds like the type of option I'm looking for. I'm not sure where to find it in the slic3r settings in Repetier though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.