1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z Axis Goes Up, But Not Down

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by P-Tang, Apr 25, 2015.

1. P-Tang

P-Tang New Member

Hi all,

I just replaced my Adruino board and the Z Axis will go up, but not down. I triple checked the Z-stop switches/cables/connectors. With the Z-Stop switched open (not pressed down) the Z-axis will lower, which seems opposite of normal to me.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks....Ryan

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like the wrong firmware. There is a version for (I think) @Mike Kelly auto-level mod for the Beta that has the Z switches reversed (at least reversed from what the R1 has).

Where did you get the firmware you loaded and what version of the printer are you using?

3. P-Tang

P-Tang New Member

hi Mark....thanks for the quick response.

I bet you're right. I didn't update the firmware, it has whatever was pre-loaded on there which is showing as "Mendel" in Matter Control. I have the R1 with smooth Y-axis rods.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. P-Tang

P-Tang New Member

Thanks! That did the trick.

6. L Kelsey

L Kelsey New Member

Hi there, I recently encountered a similar issue, but have updated the firmware from matter control several times to no avail.

Here's what happened - my filament became caught on something during a print, and began pulling the printer head upward. It took me a minute, but I figured out what was happening and fixed the problem. Once I gave the filament some slack, the assembly crashed down onto the plate.

Once I tried to zero it out and print again, the printer began acting strangely. When I use the Z+/- controls individually, the head moves up and down accordingly. But if I try hitting the "move all" button to zero it out, or if I try to start a new print, every time the printer head is supposed to move down, it moves up instead.

I'm thinking that maybe a wire somewhere was knocked loose, but I'm not sure where to look exactly. If there's another place to find firmware updates, that might help, too.

Anything you guys could suggest for me to check?

Thanks!

7. L Kelsey

L Kelsey New Member

#7 L Kelsey, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
    Jella_joe and Mike Kelly like this.
  8. Mitchell Treece

Mitchell Treece New Member

I just bought the R1+ and have printed a few things. I tried the comb and had an adhesion problem and needed to stop the print. After that when the head tries to go down it goes up. Trying to home the Z axis also makes it go up. The Z switches look good. How do you release the arms so you can lift them up. in the video they lift up so easy. Mine are stuck fast.

9. RoboRage

RoboRage New Member

@Mitchell Treece Do you have a multimeter that you can use to test for continuity? Put the meter on the z axis limit switch connectors. It shouldn't show anything until the carriage is lifted. I'll post a video to show what I mean.

You should test both sides.

#9 RoboRage, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  10. Mitchell Treece

Thanks I will try this tonight.

11. Mitchell Treece

Ok I do not see any moment in the needle on my meter. I also seems like i can barely move the arm as there is a bracket the seems to keep the arm down on the sensor.

12. RoboRage

RoboRage New Member

You will need to check to make sure there is room between the carriage and the vertical stop (GREEN area). Check both side to make sure that the space is close to the same.

Sounds like one of your z axis leadscrews is too high and causing the binding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

When the nozzle hits the bed these have to open so that the Arduino knows the bed is hit.
    (as it tries to drive the nozzle into the bed the carriage will 'stick' and the Z axis switches will open up as the carriage lifts off of them)

It sounds as though yours are either disconnected (broken or loose wire) or stuck.

RoboRage likes this.
  14. Mitchell Treece

the arm on the right side was sitting too high it seemed. I was able to raise the sensor up two rotations and now it prints fine again. It starting to squeak some tho.

Thank you so very much for your help!

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Lithium lube will fix the squeaks. Lubricate the smooth and threaded rods.