1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z Axis humming after changing RAMPS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tarTrek1Brian Russell, Jun 19, 2017.

1. tarTrek1Brian Russell

I changed my ramps to do dual extrusion on my Robo R1 Plus. I have both Z wires connected to the one stepper. When I execute Z +10 in Simplify3D it just hums. I can unhook one Z motor and the other works. I assume it is the Volts\Amps but not sure where the best volts to start at. Also, I have read all the why are you doing dual comments so no need for those.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

One may be backwards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. tarTrek1Brian Russell

I switched the wires. One ran clockwise and the other counter but I just pressed -1. Switched back. Pressed -1 and it went down. But press -10 get hum again.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The hum generally means insufficient current to the stepper for it to, well, step. Besides I am not sure what you mean by
    The RAMPS technically has one Z signal and on the standard RAMPS both Z steppers are run from that same stepper driver. Robo got fancy and split it on their custom ramps to have two Z signals, one for each stepper. Not only is this confusing, it is not needed. The standard RAMPS 1.4 has TWO stepper motors connections on it for a reason :) Just use the one. If you are using their custom RAMPS board you need to stop and switch to a standard one as well as modify the firmware to use E1 for the second extruder (they use it for the second Z motor).

5. tarTrek1Brian Russell

I raised the voltage. Seems to be working now. Yes I changed to standard RAMPS 1.4 and have my two z stepper motors wired to one stepper driver. I had to more than double the voltage to make them work.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is fine, designed to work that way. Those drivers are good to 2 amps per coil with the heatsinks and the Z should never need more than about 1 amp.

Geof likes this.