1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z Axis issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TempestWill, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TempestWill

TempestWill New Member

Hi All,

Recently I am having trouble with my Robo R1.
    I am using matter control, with settings that have worked multiple times before.
    When printing, the print will complete around the first 20 layers (not always 20 just around this) then stop moving in the Z direction, the X and Y will continue causing the head to burn the top layers until the print is canceled.
    Matter control still thinks that the Z is moving up as the layers still increase.
    This has happened with multiple different models including those included with the printer.

I have tried using various software and models and cannot see anything physically different about the Z axis.

Any ideas ?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the small fan on the bottom of your printer running ?

3. TempestWill

TempestWill New Member

yeah

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you jog z up above that height ? May be mechanical blockage such as wire loom

5. TempestWill

TempestWill New Member

yes the Z can be moved the entire length using the manual controls

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm.... Sounds likes slicer failure then if it's moving around no issues just with sliced gcode.

Does the z steppers make any funny noises like grinding or banging when it's trying to print ?

7. TempestWill

TempestWill New Member

I haven't noticed any different noises, but next time i use it I will take a video, I have used multiple different computers assuming it could be software based issue but still have the same problems. But perhaps i should order a new cable?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id start with checking thr connections and make sure everything is seated correctly. When you have the bottom.off take a picture of your control board, its possible the heatsink fell off the z driver and its overheating. Usb cable is also possible but i dont think id start there. By software i mean slicer :) try another ?

9. TempestWill

TempestWill New Member

okay thanks for all your help, ill take it apart this week and comment back with my findings and a photo, we have used all of the slicers provided with matter control but still the same issue, I think z-axis overheating sounds the most likely.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Very possible. Good luck keep us posted

11. TempestWill

TempestWill New Member

Hi, it was the z-axis overheating, the fan was solid with dust! we have cleaned the existing fan and added an extra fan in the bottom and lifted the printer using feet in each corner, had no issues since! thanks!

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.