1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Z-Axis issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by slitke86, Jun 22, 2015.

1. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Okay to start off I want to say I have contacted tech support about this but they keep saying the same thing that doesn't work. I've tried adjusting the Z-Axis offset, I have removed and reinstalled not only the printer but mattercontrol also after the firmware update. I've made sure that the print head is level and secure to the nuts on the threaded rod. I have also tried printing with the auto level disabled. So now that I've gotten that out of the way let me tell you my issues.

I am getting inconsistent layer height on anything I print. Take the calibration cube, when printed on high quality it loses several mm when compared to one printed on medium. on top of that when comparing two printed on medium there can be a mm difference. To add to the problem I'm not getting the smoother sides like I used to on the higher quality. Then when I think I have it set to print decently it goes wrong. There is a file I printed around mothers day that someone asked me to print at twice the size, should be able to just scale it up but its not working. I have to print a raft with this file, if I'm lucky the raft gets printed level and even. But by the time it get to the actual object one of two things happens, either the head doesn't rise enough and just digs in to what I'm printing or it rises too far and doesn't lay down filament right. Then when I try to clear the bed after I cancel the job, I select the 100mm up option on the z-axis it will go up a little, hesitate, go up a little, hesitate, and it keeps doing this until it thinks its moved it 100mm most of the time it hasn't. It seems to me that my z-axis is somehow forgetting were it is or something like that, anybody got any suggestions because I'm pulling out what little hair I have left with this problem, this has been going on for two weeks now.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What are you printing with (what software)?

3. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Matter Controller, up to date

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would suggest downloading the correct firmware from http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes and following the instructions to update it. DO not trust matter control to do this. There was a version of the firmware with the incorrect Z steps which as you can imagine would cause issues.

Secondly, it may be the stepper driver card needs tuning or replacing for the Z, some of what you describe might be that:

Hesitation and not moving the correct amount could very well be a POTS tuning issue or a bad stepper driver.

https://bootsindustries.com/portfolio-item/pots-adjustments/

#4 mark tomlinson, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  5. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

trying now, first time software didn't open right

#5 slitke86, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This will help you find which Stepper driver card to adjust (bottom right one in pic). Plus it tells you what the RAMPS acronym stands for (bonus) :

Arduinomega1-4connectors.png

7. krikrellim

krikrellim New Member

If the z-axis controller gets too hot it won't always increment properly. Verify your fan is blowing, if it is, you might try spacing the base up higher than what its feet provide. This is of course what you do after you verify you have the right firmware for the z-axis lead screws your printer has.

8. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Firmware is right and I have the printer up on a few things to allow more air flow and the fan is running. It is still not printing right.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are still getting the hesitation then refer to the link for the POTS calibration I posted originally and the picture above so you know which board to tune.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Have you lubricated your Z threaded rods?