1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z axis moves but makes noise +video

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by hey8you, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey8you

hey8you New Member

I replaced my old ramps board after the heater bed wires shorted out and now my Z axis is making noise. All other axis will move normally but when I move the Z axis any direction, it will move as normal but then make a buzzing noise after stopping. I tried swapping the drivers and I still get the same result. I double checked the wiring and they all look like they are in the correct positions.

Im also now getting a "echo:cold extrusion Prevented" error now when I hit extrude or retract buttons.

Link to my burnt wires thread.
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/burnt-wires-under-print-bed.20076/

#1 hey8you, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Normal if you do not have the hotend, well, hot.

hey8you likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As for the buzzing you were right to look at the stepper drivers, but make sure everything is connected soundly and in the right directions (http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,392404)

Make sure all of the jumpers under the stepper drivers are installed (yes, all of them)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's my first guess, 3 on each under the stepper

5. hey8you

hey8you New Member

I checked the jumpers and they are installed. I even swapped the ones from the old ramps board(just the z axis). All drivers are facing the correct way. I also tried connecting the z axis(one at a time) to the x axis and they would move one direction but no the other.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok... That means you just need to give more juice to drive both z :) just adjust a bug more.

hey8you likes this.
  7. hey8you

hey8you New Member

We have a winner! LOL. I adjusted the driver for Z axis and now it works, no buzzing, It moves smoothly. Now only other issue is the heated bed temp is reading high. It reads at 46 while the hot end reads at around 20. Assuming there is no issue with the bed or the wiring, im guessing there is a setting in the firmware to let it know im using a different heated bed? As far as the firmware knows, im using the R1 bed but now I have the R1+ bed.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The thermistor type is all firmware cares about and AFAIK ... the R1 and R1+ used the same type of thermistor for the bed.

Geof likes this.
  9. hey8you

hey8you New Member

Its probably ok then. I had to remove the bed and put it back in the printer several times while I was making the adjustments. Seems a bit higher then normal. While I was in there I installed the LCD screen and tested it. I ran out of time this week for testing but now all I have to do is glue the magnets to the new bed and start printing.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  10. hey8you

hey8you New Member

Its alive! First test print will be a cover for the LCD screen. Thanks for your help guys.
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.