1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Z-axis off calibration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ettl0006, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ettl0006

ettl0006 New Member

I was manually moving the Z-axis and I accidentally moved it down to low which caused the hot end to compress the heat bed. After this compression my Z-axis is out of wack! When I go to print an object the auto level program falsely senses the print bed in the middle of air, the Z-axis moves up instead of down to sense the print bed...so I am in air. I can not get the printer to print on the print bed as the auto level program moves the Z axis up instead of down. Please help. Prior to making the manual move error, the printer was working great. Any help to get the Z axis back in calibration is appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Trama

Trama Member

This happened to me right in the beginning. There are a Couple things to check out.
    First look at both z axis rods, there is a limit switch cradling a threaded brass nut on each side, make sure that nothing looks out of order.

Second is to move the X axis to the center of the bed and take a measurement from the X rails to the heated bed and make sure that the are in alignment l, if not you can manually turn the threaded rod by hand until it is level.

After all that hit the release button in mattercontrol in the control section. Should run fine after that.

These are the steps that the Robo 3D support had me go through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do a paper leveling to make sure your X/Z axis is still on level with the bed.

4. ettl0006

ettl0006 New Member

I tried the steps above and it doesn't work. The Z axis will not move down when I use the movement controls. I the movement set to 10mm and I can hear the motor make a short sound, but no movement in the down direction. It works fine moving up.

Also, the limit switch cradling the brass nut on the left side is lower than the right side, is it supposed to be? Are those supposed to be touching the plastic piece above, because mine are not.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, they should be the same.

Until they trigger and signal they are at 'home' yes, they should be.
    This is what the paper leveling is for. To make sure that they are triggering close to the same.

6. ettl0006

ettl0006 New Member

OK, so how do I move those switches or do a paper level?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So you did not do the paper leveling?
    This video talks about it in some detail (as well as bed leveling in general).

For the Robo R1 your adjustment screws are the Z axis threaded rods themselves. You hold one and turn the other to raise or lower that side slightly.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The general idea is to get it so that when you move the extruder across the X axis that it is pretty much the same distance from the bed on both sides. This helps the autoleveling to function correctly.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Some software won't allow you to go below 0 on the bed height. If all else fails send a G91 to set the printer to relative mode. Then send G1 Z-1.0 to lower the nozzle 1mm at a time