1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z axis out of scale

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Geoc3d, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoc3d

Geoc3d New Member

Hi all
    Just got a new R1 plus, I have had a number of minor issues that have been solving slowly but still cant produce my first quality printing.
    The two main issues I have unsolved at this moment are:

1) Printings are largely out of scale in the Z axis, extending the piece like 3 or 4 times in that axis only, (the other two seems to remain ok.)
    2) At the same time (not sure if it is part of the same problem or is something different) the product is extremely stringed , with gaps in between strings larger than the thickness of the string in itself.

I have been touching and retouching all buttons I find, manage to close the gaps but I am almost setting the slicer on the end of the spectrum like for excellent quality but it is producing not even half decent pieces.
    Parameteres have gone and back several times and in different combinations but with minor changes as end result. Some of the parameters I have at this moment are:

density infill = 0.7
    Filament Z lift = 0.15
    Layer hight = 0.3
    EEProm = Z = 2565
    Temp of extruder is on 215 (using PLA)
    Bed at 50

I have also being playing with the scale of the model and get more or less (not perfect yet) modifying to a third or fourth less of the number given in the Z axis of the original model and that it seems to work in the scaling more or less the model but it loose definition and if you need a precise piece wont work.

I have tryied different models of different designers but no change.
    Any advice will be much appreciated
    Cheers
    Geoc

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Did you flash the firmware? The z steps look off for an r1 plus. Z steps should be 800. Just wanted to confirm that with you. Not suggesting you flash the firmware unless you really have an r1 plus without the couplers connecting the z leadscrews into the stepper motors. The leadscrews should go straight into the motors. And if you really have your z steps set to 2565.

3. Geoc3d

Geoc3d New Member

I have update the firmware and the mattercontrol software a couple of times already what have solved other issues I had, but havent improved in this issue so far. The software indicate Z 2565, I have change now to 800 and trying a new print at this moment.
    Thanks for your reply

4. danzca6

Then I wonder if you didn't load a firmware for an older version. I would suggest, if you have the r1 plus with leadscrews without couplers that you load the leadscrew upgrade version of the firmware. They have a v2 as well for that version of printer, but they have some changes with that version that I don't agree with and another user the other day has issues fixed by not moving away from the v2 version. Hoping your print last night fared better. If not let's check some other things.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, if you loaded firmware with the Z at 2565 it was not R1+ firmware.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geoc3d

Geoc3d New Member

Hi there
    Thanks a lot for your replies guys, the issue its almost solved:

The first print after changing the steps to 800 it did come very flat .... What was a good sign as I have been modifying the Z scale, so I revert almost all settings letting the Z steps at 800, and actually I could get my very first figurine resembling its digital counterpart. After that I tried to print a second one but all went back to the initial over-exaggerated Z scale. When check realise The firmware went"missing" so I uninstall the whole thing and start from cero once more. Download soft and firmware from the robo web page and install all again, modified a couple of settings (still need a very high density %to produce a half decent print) and the steps where in back in 2565 so I changed back to 800 and print a calibration box.
    This one turn out very good, no stringing but comes 2 mm shorter of what it should, I think I might have an issue in the very first 3 -4 layers as I can see the nozzle pressed against the bed and dragging the glue for the first layer

Just to be sure, ( I have a doubt now) could you send me a link to the proper firmware just in case I am downloading something different, not sure how to check the leadscrews

Thanks again

7. danzca6

8. Geoc3d

Geoc3d New Member

Sorry for my late reply, thanks guys for your help, things are working lot better now, definitely the firmware was the issue.
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.