1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Axis Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mdfmr2, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Looks like your having the ribbing effect also.

2. mdfmr2

mdfmr2 New Member

I almost forgot to mention one more thing - I found out after a lot of cussing that my wife's expensive hairspray doesn't work well at all - it doesn't dry sticky. $1.94 AquaNet is the way to go.

3. mdfmr2

mdfmr2 New Member

What causes ribbing?

4. savior2064

savior2064 Member

The guys are trying to find out what's causing the issue. Alot of the new printers are having this issue.

5. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Yes aquanet is great. Man there are a bunch off issues there still. are you still using all those settings you posted in the beginning? Can you just verify what your layer height and temp was? also how many top layers? That doesn't look like 3 to me.

Next print you make can you post a picture right after the first layer finishes? I want to say your height is still off, but a first layer shot would tell us a lot more about that.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a brand new printer - right?

7. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Based on the finish of the top layer it looks like you're underextruding, if it is 3 top layers.

Calibrating your printer is half the fun and a great way to learn. I knew nothing about 3D printing or design until my Robo arrived. Pulling off your first flawless print is a great feeling, but then you'll find something else to tweak and upgrade lol.

8. mdfmr2

mdfmr2 New Member

Extruder temp was 185, bed temp 60, layer height .2.

Yes, it's a brand new printer.

I'll get some pics of the first layer on the next print. Unfortunately it won't be until the weekend - my day job is interfering with my hobbies!

9. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I think you'll need to turn up your extruder temp, though it depends on the filament and hotend. I ran my PLA at 196 with the stock hotend and 210 with the Hexagon. Experiment with a 1cm test cube from thingiverse and various infills between 20 and 95 to test your temp and speed settings etc. I use the 1cm cube initially to save filament then move on to some of the better/bigger calibration prints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.