1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Z axis setting (M565): Correct now?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rod Smith, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Over in this thread, I got some advice from mark tomlinson on adjusting my Z-axis value via the M565 g-code command. Thanks for that! I've now managed to run some tests, and I think that a value of -1.39 is about right; however, if I understand correctly, it's showing signs of being both too close and too far -- I just hope not too much of either. Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

Near the edges of the circle, it appears that the extruder has gouged into the filament a bit, but near the center, the filament looks better, but maybe the filaments are a little too cylindrical near the center of the test print. Clearly, the discrepancy is caused by the fact that there's some overlap between the outer circle and the back-and-forth lines filling it in. As I'm not an expert on this, I thought I'd ask if this looks like a reasonable value, or would you advise going a bit higher or lower? FWIW, here are photos of attempts at -1.29 and -1.49, respectively, which to my eye both appear to be clearly bad (although perhaps if some gouging at the edges is expected, the -1.29 might be a better setting):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've tried this with both MatterControl and IdeaMaker, and I get similar results with both of them.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Top two photos look like over extrusion. You might want to dial back the extrusion % and see if you can't clean that up.
    It that DOES help then calibrate the extruder rather than depending on resetting the extrusion percentage would be my advice.

The bottom photo is still a bit too high off of the bed... but over extrusion will complicate things for you so address that.

Geof likes this.
  3. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

I have no new photos, but cutting the extrusion rate back to about 85-90% does seem to clean it up a bit, so I may go with that and a slightly lower Z-axis value (M565 Z-1.35 or so). OTOH, I found a YouTube video with a test object that's supposed to show problems with over- and under-extrusion, and it seems to print OK with a 100% extrusion rate. Maybe at this point it's just fine-tuning beyond what I can judge. Thanks for the advice, in any event!