1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z offset off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by aznhlfan, Jun 8, 2016.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I print specifically from the sd card using the XXL controller, my question is: why does the Z offset show .79 when printing the first layer, when I have it set in the slicer software that I exported to the sd card at .5? I am having issues with warping and I believe that is the cause, because when it showed .5 on the controller a few prints ago, I had no issues with warping.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havnt experienced that issue but i would suggest double checking that for your current profile the z is set and saved(close out of the slicer and reopen it)

aznhlfan likes this.
  3. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I closed and reopened matter control, now when I auto home, either with MC or the controller, it goes to -0.90, does it need to be at zero after auto home? Or should it be at whatever the z offset is set at (.5 in this case)?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im not sure im following you. What is the print defect ?

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If its the warping how does the first layer actually look when its printing ? As far as the offset id suggest cleaning the bed reapplying and seeing what that does. Typically warping(im assuming pla) is due to heat issue.

6. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I am experiencing warping, I did clean off the bed and reaplyied hairspray. I have a heated bed so upped the temp. to 60 degrees from 50. But the first layer looks horrible (warping, the strands are far apart and does not stick together after cooling down). I auto homed to see if that helps any, printing now.

sent from my Samsung Note 5 using Tapatalk

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Whats your start up script look like ?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What the LCD controller is displaying may not match up to what the software is saying.
    When you do a G92 Z0 the firmware will re-zero the Z (make the current Z position the new '0') .
    The software may still be tracking an absolute value (just for looks).

What material is warping? With warp the material and temperatures are the key elements.

9. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I'm using PLA, on the last print, I upped the bed temp. from 50 degrees to 60, and that seemed to help a bit. So I am doing another print today and going to up the bed temp. from 60 to 70 and see if it helps all together. I pretty much only use PLA now, but looking into trying others.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, that helps us know what you are doing.

Odd that you need that high of a bed temp. PLA prints fine with no heated bed (low levels of heat do help it to stick better).

The warping is probably due to your bed heat. Prints warping is always a heat control issue. ABS is more susceptible to it (as far as materiel properties go) but any filament can warp if the heat is not managed well. What I mean is that a large difference in temperature across the print can cause it to warp. Generally speaking you wan to use as little heat as possible with PLA. It could also be an issue with the filament itself, but that is uncommon. Have you tried with less bed heat? What are you extruding at?

With ABS it can be the other way around since more bed heat raises the overall general temperature of the bed/print area which helps stabilize the heat drop across the model... (ABS really wants a heated chamber for best results).

This is why I say print / bed temperature discussions are largely not a terribly informative discussion :) Everyone has a different environment and that is what matters... the entire print environment (at least with an open-bay/non-enclosed printer).

11. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

The lowest I went was 50 degrees on the bed, never had a problem since recently. As far as extruding, I am using a 25% infill if that's what you mean. Maybe it was the auto homing I did that helped the print yesterday, I also cleaned of the bed of dried hairspray from 3 other prints. I guess it is something I constantly have to play with. I do have an open printer except for the sides, (Robo r1+).

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, compared to others:

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2x

The Robo is wide open. That is one of the reasons you see closed bay printers. Even if they do not have a heated chamber it helps a lot to just enclose it. @Mike Kelly designed an enclosure for the robo that @Printed Solid sells (I think he still carries it -- https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/robo-3d-safety-enclosure-kit ) Although they call it a safety enclosure to set expectations correctly:)

Geof and aznhlfan like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Of course one way the Robo gets that ginourmous print area (compared to others) is to not enclose it :)
    That and the way the parts move (on some the build plate moves for Z rather than the print head)

14. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I saw the enclosers on printed solid, but $90ea (and I have 2) is kinda expensive and I'm not sure they would help a ton.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not for PLA:)

Make sure your parts cooling fan is on 100% after layer 2 or 3 and that it is blowing on the print...

Neither of my Robos warps PLA so it is more likely settings than mechanics

16. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Ok, the fan does go on 100% after layer 2. It does blow on the part, but I'm wondering if a modded fan shroud would work good.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is correctly positioned for your hotend it will work really well.
    I have one I use with a ducted fan shroud. It is the one with the Volcano hotend (which can print a lot hotter). The other one I just use a normal fan -- BUT not the stock fan... it didn't push much air.

aznhlfan and Geof like this.