1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved MakeShaper PLA Settings

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DH7, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

BAck up to what @mark tomlinson mentioned. If it is about 1.78 mm please note that the bore of the Hexagon hot end is 1.82 mm and that PLA expands a lot when heated. If it is above 1.78 mm then that could be the issue. What does Makeshaper say the tolerance should be (for example eSun claims +/-0.05 mm deviation from 1.75 mm and that is good).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Do you hear a hiss or a popping noise when the filament is extruding?
    Could be 'wet' ... PLA will absorb water from the air and then it prints different.
    Not hugely different, but it sort of sucks visually and the temperatures are a bit whack.
    Structurally the print will still be OK.

3. DH7

DH7 New Member

EDIT: Had a heat break jam, cleared it out, rebuilding the hot end now for a lower temp test. I was sent a simplify3D profile from another Robo owner who apparently had success printing this stuff at 45mm/s, 0.15mm layer height, and 0.5mm nozel, but I'm trying to get 60mm/s with 0.3mm layer height and 0.4mm nozel.

I think ive been printing the PLA too hot, I now have a jam in my heat break (I know it's super fragile, i'm trying not to mess it up). What's the safest/easiest way to clear the heat break? I was thinking of heating it up without a tip, but I'm not sure if I should try heating it without the hexagon fins as well...

#23 DH7, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  4. DH7

DH7 New Member

Trying to get the extruder up an running again, just with hatchbox PLA. Does the standard R1+ hotend have a PTFE liner?

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No it does not. I use to torch my hexagons to clear the jams but eventually went to an e3dv6 and now a promethius v2. Both have the liners and are much better quality hotends. Highly recommend

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. DH7

DH7 New Member

Alright, thanks! I seem to have something catching inside my hot break, literally tore it down 4 times now, tried ABS instead of PLA, everything's getting stuck.

7. DH7

DH7 New Member

I was looking into the e3dv6, but I'm trying not to edit the firmware. Does the Prometheus v2 require a firmware adjustment as well?

EDIT: Just read the exchange with you and RP Ironman, reading through your install post now. Very thorough!

#27 DH7, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you do the E3D upgrade and use a MetalStud thermistor rather than the stock one or the E3D one you end up needing to do nothing to the firmware unless you want higher limits. Plus you get a nearly indestructible thermistor :) Same is likely true with the Prometheus

9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Well ever since a month or two ago they started shipping the E3D with the new cartridge thermistor. Better than the one they were sending for assembly, but can't remember if that would need a firmware change or not.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You know, you could be right. I think it is the same as stock now, but Matt (@Printed Solid ) could probably confirm

11. danzca6

12. jsam

jsam New Member

Yikes, I just bought two spools of this stuff from them! Wish I saw this thread first.

13. danzca6

Too late for an RA?

14. DH7

DH7 New Member

I don't think my experience is the norm, I'm pretty sure I just managed to mess up the heatbreak in the process. One thing to consider according the company is that it doesn't flow as fast as some other filaments. Also you can contact their customer service and they'll have an engineer contact you later. Please let me know if you find a good setup! One user was printing at 0.25mm layer height with a 0.5mm tip at 45mm/s and having success. I didn't have time to try those settings before i replaced the hot end though...

15. DH7

DH7 New Member

Thanks, I actually got a replacement hexagonal one from Amazon (robo is sold out, also the shipping speed from Amazon seems much better). It seems to be working great, do you think I should still do a PID tuning?

16. danzca6

I would just to make sure.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I agree the PID tuning is a great idea regardless since it configures the printer for your heaters.

18. DH7

DH7 New Member

Weird question - in a PID tuning post you mention that the firmware should be edited after PID tuning, and someone said there's technically a Gcode for a temporary switch. Would it be cumbersome to adjust that PID values before each print by just adding a starting Gcode script or does it take a long time?

19. danzca6

Yes you can remotely set it with g code, but I recommend that you just update the firmware. Then it is set for sure.

20. jsam

jsam New Member

It's still in transit and should arrive Saturday or early next week. Worse comes to worse I could always donate them to the local high school. I think they just got a 3D printer for their tech classes. In the mean time I ordered a spool of Hatchbox black off of Amazon.

I'm new to 3D printing and will be using the hot end and nozzle that came stock (I think that's a .4 nozzle right?). Based on what you describe I should go into MatterHacker and make a custom setting rather than use the preset PLA settings?

#40 jsam, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.