1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved I installed the E3d v6 hotend and cannot heat the hotend more than 240 Celsius

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mclemens7, Apr 3, 2017.

1. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

Hello, My name is Max Clemens, I bought the e3d v6 hotend on filastrider a month ago and I wanted to touch base with you because recently I tried printing in polycarbonate filament by Playmaker. In order to print with the filament, I had to put my hotend at 260. I then tried to put it to 260 and the hotend would stop increasing temperature at 240. I have tried everything. I went into the code for the 3d printer and specified that I had the correct settings typed in. I also put my hotend in robo 3d printer r1 plus because the hotend I had before kept clogging. I am also using Simplify 3d software, but would not command any actions differently than matter control.

(The Fix)
    You have to install a heating element with a higher wattage, like 30 watts or 40 watts.

#1 mclemens7, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

did you adjust the firmware for the new higher temps

3. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

Yes I went into the firmware changed the thermistor number to 5 so it would match the thermistor i was using (from e3d) then i put the max temp to 300

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

first guess if that compliled and uploaded correctly is a weak heater or possibly cooling fan cooling the hotend to much. Do you know if you have a 25 watt heater with the e3d or a 30 watt? I use 40 watt heaters to avoid similar issues.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bingo, probably that 25w heater just not cuttin' it. 40 watts for the win.

6. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

When i looked up the voltage for the heater it said i would should get the 12 voltage heater, other than that i do not know the wattage only the voltage.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

it will be engraved on the heater core itself. I dont buy from Filastruder I buy from @Printed Solid so I have no idea what cartridge filastruder has sent you with.

8. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

they sent me a 25 watt heater. Im going to purchase another one. what is the most powerful heater i can and should buy for the robo?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

12V 40Watt in my opinion. some dont like them and perfer to use the 12V 30 watt heaters. Your call (I dont have issues with the 40 Watt, YMMV)

10. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

Why dont people like 40 watt whats the problem?

11. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Did you change your Max temp in the firmware?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No clue. Nervous Nelly's I presume :)

The extra wattage simply allows it to heat higher and faster.

Geof likes this.
  13. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this helped a lot

14. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

I did but everything is fine i just need to buy a higher wattage heater

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

25W v 40W:

Actually the first E3Dv6 used a 40W but E3D changed it to a 25W at some point stating some reasons for the move at the time. The difference in the ones that E3D actually supplies, besides wattage, is that the 25W use blue wires and the 40W use red.

Filastruder is an authorized E3D dealer as is Printed Solid.

16. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Further "clarification" of a somewhat unclear situation:

V6, when using parts direct from E3D, has always shipped with a 30W heater. Sometime in between the V5 and the V6, they switched from 25W to30W. At one point in time, 25W, 30W, and 40W were all made with red leads, which made things very confusing. I don't think either hot end ever shipped with a 40W as default, but maybe they did before I started carrying them at the end of 2013.

Then they changed to the red/blue scheme with red being 40W and blue being 25 or 30 depending on when you had purchased.

Now, if you buy from an official reseller who is using all E3D supplied parts, then you will typically get a heater cartridge with everything engraved on it, unless it is from old stock.

Not that it's a quality concern or anything, but last I knew, Filastruder sourced the metal parts only from E3D and sourced the fans, heater cartridge, fasteners, etc, direct from the chinese manufacturers. So, if you are purchasing from them or if you have an old thermistor that you don't know the rating on, make sure to follow the instructions on their web site and measure resistance of your heater cartridge before use.

re: concerns around 40W. The concern is not about setting max temp, it's that with that power if you don't limit current, supposedly you can very quickly heat the block to glowing hot and potentially catch things that are touching it on fire. So, you should adjust current limits in firmware if you are using a 40W.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.