1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Whole first layer of print not sticking to print bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Erica Lindström, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

I will go nuts soon, so I really hope the community can help me.
    The first layer of my current print is a square. The whole surface of the square is not sticking to the print bed. Strands of PLA are loose just Hilding on to the printed border of the square.
    I have been calibrating for 2 days now, adjusting z-offset, finetuning and doing spiral test prints. Test prints are fine but not the actual object I want to print.
    What more can I do?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Erica Lindström can you share a photo of your first layer as well as tell us what slicer you use? Could you please post your start up script so we can take a look at it?

It does sound like the first layer is to far away (Z Offset) so maybe there is something funny happening where you settings are not getting stored? Is this a stock R1+ machine?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

To be specific (I have had a lot of folks recently come to me with a misunderstanding) the Z offset he is talking about is the autoleveling offset (done via the M565 Gcode command) and not some global Z offset defined in the slicer. If you try to only do this via the global Z offset you are effectively running in circles and not really leveraging the autoleveling :)

(none of this applies if you are using a later rev of Marlin like 1.1x that @WheresWaldo has posted in the mods threads. I am only talking about the stock versions of firmware).

Geof likes this.
  4. Erica Lindström

Sorry, just noticed that this post was in the wrong section, how do I move it to R2?
    Here's a picture any way http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/ericalindstrom/Robo/IMG_1318_zpsmxpbcsve.jpg. The darker patches are not sticking to the plate. The odd thing is that its in a irregular pattern and that other, smaller, prints print just fine.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you cleanes the pei with alcohal ? If i have adhesion issues i do that first

6. Erica Lindström

I do that between every print with 95% alcohol.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Regarding the picture, It looks like only one perimeter is set in the slicer, that usually never works, try three.

Second the bed does not appear to be level. In the web interface, go to terminal and issues a G1 Z0 command with the extruder anywhere you want on the bed. Then in the LCD motor controls turn the motors off. Find the little plastic box that came with your printer and take out the piece of paper that Robo calls a Gauge and physical grab the extruder and move it to the front left corner, try to slide the gauge (paper) under the nozzle, if you can insert it easily turn the screw (suggestion is just a quarter turn) to move it closer making the paper snug not tight, if it cannot then loosen the screw only one quarter turn. If it isn't tight just yet don't worry. Now physically grab the extruder and move it to the left rear corner. Slide the paper under the nozzle, if its loose tighten the screw one quarter turn only, if it is tight loosen it one quarter turn only. Now move diagonally to the right front corner and do the same thing, then follow that by moving the extruder to the right rear corner. Now repeat the process starting with the left front corner. At some point it will feel that the gauge will feel the same when inserted in any corner. Pat yourself on the back, take a short break, pour a glass of wine, drink and profit.

Now you are ready for step two. The bed is level on all four corners. On the LCD screen you can now set the bed offset with the Offset Wizard, don't forget the paper gauge. Follow all instructions and complete the wizard. Now the printer also knows what you already know that the bed is level. You can go through the Fine Tune Wizard afterward.

Now test a print. If it looks much better than the picture then report back, take another break, pour another glass of wine, drink and be satisfied in knowing that your bed is level and fine tuned. Of course if it looks worse then tell us that too.

8. Erica Lindström

Where do I change the perimeter? In Cura or in octo print?
    Cant find anything called terminal in octo print or Cura either. Im a total nincompoop when it comes to 3D printing, I just want it to work. For me to understand what to do, you have to provide me with step-by-step instructions and pictures :)

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

in Cura. sometimes they call it shell or wall thickness.

10. Erica Lindström

Its just a tick in a box, can’t change the number of peripetiers. It is actually 2 counted when testning again. Still no luck. It looks so weird, just like the PLA is almost as thin as sprider web thread. Never seen my R2 behave like this and it sounds aweful too.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

On review it sounds like the Z offset is wrong -- it may be a touch too low.
    The picture almost looks like you are getting wagon wheel ruts and that is a too low first layer.
    You might want to rerun the Z offset wizard and the fine tuning wizard.

Geof likes this.