1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura settings

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by becca3940, Jan 6, 2018.

1. becca3940

becca3940 New Member

I can print the R2 test print that is on my Robo R2 and it comes out perfect. Recently though I can't get any of my prints to print right. The lines look really thin as you can see from attached . I have the same z offset for both of these and my line width is .4mm . Any help would be appreciated. IMG_5153.JPG IMG_5153.JPG

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Becca,
    Are you printing with a raft ? If not if adjust your z offset to be closer. A raft and first layer thickness is a cheat sample prints tend to do

3. becca3940

becca3940 New Member

I am using a skirt. I am confused as to how I have the z offset at -7.5 just like the test print has and my print looks like the z offset is not correct and also my lines are so thin.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The difference is that the one already on the printer is already sliced :)

Slicer turns the STL into GCode, the printer loaded demos are already GCode

I can't really speak for Cura, so I will let someone who has used it chime in ... however that almost certainly has to be something not setup correctly in the slicer (Cura?)

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It's because the test print is done with a raft. The raft doesn't apply the same rules as printing without . Make the offset closer and attach photos of the first layer please

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I tried cura with the R2 and the only change needed was the offset. Something about how cura does the raft is odd. Like .3 layers (ex)so a larger mess up on the z offset is hidden by default. Didn't spend much time with it but the fix was adjusting the offset closer :)

7. becca3940

becca3940 New Member

I would love to see a screen shot of what my Cura settings should look like. My students have made things in Tinkercad and I am behind on printing them because of all these problems. I thought if I could figure out the exact settings used in the Test print that worked and use those exact settings on my student projects that could be a fix but the only things I can figure out about the preinstalled test print is the z offset, the infill percent and the layer height.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Please try this and post a photo

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Every slicer has their own algorithm (i.e. process) for generating the RAFT... I agree the raft is likely the difference

Geof likes this.
  10. becca3940

becca3940 New Member

I changed to a raft and the z offset to -7.3 and it seems to be doing better , there is a rough spot on the bottom left hand side on first layer. I had changed from using raft to cut down on time and also have had terrible time getting raft to pop off print without messing up print and alot of elbow grease.

Attached Files:

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

How easy rafts and supports are to remove from the print is at the mercy of the slicer. Try a different one and you may get better results.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The raft is very forgiving, if you want to print without keep decreasing the distance from the nozzle to the bed (closer)

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Once you master printing raft-less you won't go back to printing a raft (unless the model you are printing is a raft :)).

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.