1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Palette+ for support material?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hellsbells17, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Hellsbells17

Hellsbells17 Member

I am tired of waiting for Robo to get their crap together and release the dual extruder kit for the R2 so I am considering purchasing the Mosaic Palette+ for mostly soluble support material. Is it worth it?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, see what Waldo posted... the short answer is "yes" in fact the palette is the RIGHT way to do multi-color, multi-material you can argue still is better with multiple extruders.

4. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

The thing that bothers me the most about the palette is that there's no direct communication between the palette and the printer (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's more or less left to do "dead reckoning" on when the filament changes need to happen. Seems like a bad extrusion ratio in the gcode could cause the two to get out of sync.

The next thing that bothers me is the price: Can almost buy an i3 MK3 for that. Of course, they don't have the MMU for that one done yet, but it seems like a slightly better overall solution.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

to each their own when it comes to multi extrusion. Its all difficult, finiky and prone to failure. If you'd rather spend the money and have a 4 color system only useable on one machine then buy the prusa. If you want a 4 color system to move machine to machine, Palette +. I personally like the idea of the Palette+ but have the same "worries" as you do. Alot of software working togather with that device, but the same is true of the MMU for the Prusa. Lots of software and one little glitch or mechanical mis step and your off calibration and need to fix it. All depends on what you want. I bought the sigma when it first released for disolvable support material. I really like the idex system but its possible if I find a need for 4 color (or want) I'd go with the Palette.

#5 Geof, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2018
  6. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

The MMU for the MK3 isn't done yet - give it until the end of summer, but the good news is that it won't be a Bowden setup anymore and they're claiming it'll be five spools instead of four. But the Prusa solution doesn't seem to decouple the MMU from the printer in the same way that the Palette does, so it seems like one less thing to go wrong.

My flashforge convinced me of the foolishness of jumping right into a traditional dual extruder: about half my failed prints were due to extruder B knocking over something that extruder A just laid down. I'd thought about the Sigma, but wasn't sure. Hell, I thought about a Raise3D N2 Plus, just because I read so many good reviews about it. But, the bed leveling on the N2 is impossible and I kind of believed that the R2 would really give me a second extruder if I really wanted one.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I will say the issue with Prusa is the innovation. He makes things up as he goes and that costs time. The MMU was released then immediately revised as it did not work correctly. I'm sure he is trying to avoid those issues. The MMU is a secondary part of the machine- can still be disconnects :D but sound logic on waiting. Never a bad idea to see what else springs to life in the mean time.

Yes side by side extruders (raise, F.forge, etc) are all bad and all have the same issues. Watch some videos of the raise machines...look closely at the nozzles- you'll see the 2nd one removed for that exact reason. Even at trade shows the dual machines running single color- 2nd nozzle is removed lol. (but no issues they say of course ;) )

The R2 dual extruder is in progress but no clue how its coming along. All I can say is they are working on it and I've seen a few prints that look decent with whatever set up they are currently using. patience is for sure the key (I personally wish dual was never brought up in their advertisements since unless its a real thing- its not real yet) lol.