1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bushings for X and Y axis rods

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adikted2astro, Sep 6, 2017.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Hey, does anyone know what size the bushings are for the x and y axis rods? I know the rods are 6 mm in diameter, but unless I tear the carriage apart, I don't quite know how big those bushings are. I'm assuming they are similar to double LM6UU (LM6LUU) bushings. The only concern I have is the length of the bushing itself. It's either 35mm, or 40mm long.

I'm just curios because I want to start ordering backup parts for my R2, in case something happens. I don't want to have to wait for Robo to ship parts to me (which is what I had to do the past couple of weeks). Also, I'll be thinking about upgrading some of the components.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I had mine apart just yesterday and forgot to measure them. I will look at them later.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

40 mm ~ LML6UU

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. adikted2astro

Awesome, thank you! I was on the fence about 35mm or 40mm. I tried getting an accurate measurement from Mark's pictures in his thread on the C2 (upgrading to dual extruder on C2). From measuring on the computer screen I got ~39.298 mm. Granted, I should've just decided it was 40mm, but I didn't want to take the chance.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The graphite plugged sintered bronze bearings are hard to find but you can get 6 mm x 12 mm x 19 mm and doubling them up would work in the extruder head. That is what I am planning on doing with mine, at some point. The X/Y axis already has bronze bearings, they are 8 mm X 12 mm x 36 mm.

#5 WheresWaldo, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  6. adikted2astro

May I ask why bronze bearings? Are they better than stainless steel bearings (for this application anyway)?

7. adikted2astro

Ah, never mind. I see now. The bearings you are talking about are sleeve bearings/bushings. Not ball bearing. Those graphite plugged bearings are awesome, but you are right............very hard to find.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes these are bearings, not bushings, even though they have no balls. The sintered bronze or the sintered bronze with the graphite plugs are quieter, support more area, require no lubrication (they are oil impregnated). I used them on everything except the Z axis on my R1 and it quieted the movement down considerably.

9. adikted2astro

I'd be very interested to know where you purchased them. I can't find any that are even remotely close to 36mm long (for the 8mm x 12mm anyway). The best I could find was plug graphite, 20mm long.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I didn't use them on the X/Y, Robo did. But they did not use the graphite plugged ones. Are yours ball bearings? I took apart the little snap together end and the bronze bearings is what I saw. So all the 8 mm linear rail had bronze bearings and the 6 mm linear rails have ball bearings. That is just like Ultimaker uses them.

11. adikted2astro

No, as far as I can tell, mine are bronze as well. I have no idea where Robo got those. I'm having some trouble with one of them on the x-axis. No matter what I do, there's a slight scraping sound coming from one of them. Not sure how to alleviate it.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

13. adikted2astro

Those are definitely close. I think I can make that work.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@adikted2astro scraping? I think I'd double check your gantry is square and the timing pulleys arnt rubbing on anything. Takes quite alot to make a scrap sound with bushings :D

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There, I fixed that for you.

Geof likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

17. adikted2astro

Good point. However, i already tried both of those................not the problem

18. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Anyone find a source for these? I cant seem to find any that are 40mm, just 35mm.