1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Palette 2/Palette 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Projects' started by AlienBeans, Aug 25, 2018.

1. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Admin edit: On page 4 of this thread, @KenO has posted instructions on how to get the Palette working on the R2 printer.

Mosaic Manufacturing announced their new multi color/material palette earlier this week. The Palette 2 and the Palette 2 pro. Supposedly the Pro version will print up to 20% faster than the Palette 2 model. They also released a Canvas hub (that to my knowledge we don't need with the robo line of printers). The Canvas hub allows the printer and palette to ping each other constantly resulting (allegedly) in better communication between the two devices and more efficient printing. This looks like a really sharp device and looks like they have taken things up several notches here. It's currently available for pre-order. Palette 2 for $499 and Palette 2 Pro for $699.

https://www.mosaicmfg.com/products

Detail review/explanation here:

I'm very seriously considering picking up one of these while its on preorder. Shipping expected in October.

#1 AlienBeans, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2020
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My only word of warning is preorders can be dangerous. I’d let the first links of people that buy it be their beta testers. I’d (and will) steer clear for a in the wild bunch that’s shown working as advertised. As always that’s my opinion, take it or leave it :)

The (b)leading edge can cut deep

3. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I am living dangerously. ;)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Best of luck! Hope it works out well for you!

5. Jerome Helbert

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how this goes. The wife loved the idea of a dual extruder, and I sold her on the R2 over others because it was supposed to be in the works. Fast forward over a year and I've decided I probably shouldn't hold my breath any longer.

If the reviews on the Palette2 look good, I might spring for one for Christmas. My only concern is how well it will handle multimaterials, ie PLA to PETG or even PC, which I tend to do a lot of.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Dual extrusion is "OK" at best, the work you need to do (on the modelling and slicing sides of things) make it a pain to actually work with. I have historically just modeled around it and modeled parts so that each was a single material. Then assemble :) The Palette has some drawbacks (more material waste, slower, etc) but it is a better approach in my opinion than dual extrusion. In addition you don't lose any build area to accommodate the second extruder. Only the printers with multiple independent extruders are better and they are not worth the expense unless you really need multimaterial often.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  7. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well, the Palette 2 Pro finally arrived Wednesday. Got it unboxed but absolutely no tutorial on doing a print in the manual. It says vsit Canvas.io to begin a print. After modeling up their sample file and downloading it, I extract it to the SD card, insert it in the palette and it says the card is empty and the file needed to use the palette isn't there. Zip file only included a gcode file and not the file type that palette needs.

With Robo and Mosaic enterting in a partnership for these products it would seem there would be a setup/print tutorial to get us started.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Odd the palette should use GCode
    Did you use Chroma? That generates the other files (MSF and a merged GCode).

Maybe the Palette 2 is different from the first one...but that is how I use it

Geof likes this.
  9. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Palette apparently uses a file with a .MAF extension. The zip is supposed to have the MAF and the gcode file but mine only had the gcode file. I've never used Chroma for anything. I have exclusively used Cura for Robo. The tutorials I have watched to do a print have all been different procedures and all different printers.

Also in canvas when it prompts me to slice the model then download it, the (i guess its a tutorial page) pops up on top of the canvas app but everything isn't visible for me and there's no scrolling option there. Waited a long time for this to get here so I was hoping for and expecting a bit more in the documentation that came with the unit.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You’d have to take most that up with mosaic. I don’t believe they are teamed up with Robo on the palette 2. They had an arrangement for the first gen to set up profiles so maybe one will be coming for gen 2. There is something to not being an early adopter of tech if your not one to set up those profiles but if you are that kind of person please do fire up a how to thread.

11. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

From what I've read they are in fact teamed up with Robo. I've reached out to them, so we'll see what they have to say.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is some good news. Fingers crossed for you, please update when you hear back so others can see the resolution

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The v1 uses an MSF file and GCode, the v2 may be different. You use Chroma to generate the MSF and a new GCode (from the original) that then drives the printer.

Geof likes this.
  14. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Mosaic has created a web based application called CANVAS that they are using to power the palette devices now. Currently its free but they are going to offer subscription based usage at a later time. Canvas.IO

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:) I'll stick with offline for now.

16. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Perhaps someone here has some insight. I tried the print again after calibrating the Z offset. Seemed to be way off so I got that adjusted. Loaded the palette with the appropriate colors and started the print. It started out looking good, then I checked on it about 10 minutes into the print and found the filament had detatched from the print bed and was moving all over the place with the print head. I checked the settings and noticed the print bed was at 60 degrees (which is what I've always printed at), but the hot end was set at 210. I believe for PLA that is too hot. I believe I've always had the hot end at 190. Could this be the reason the filament didn't adhere to the bed?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, there are a lot of factors that play into how well the filament sticks to the bed.

Geof likes this.
  18. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well, I found the Z offset setting in Canvas and got that entered. Ran another test print (mosaic keychain) and it started off fine with the first few layers then everything detatched from the print bed AGAIN. Clearly I'm missing something here to get this to remain attached to the print bed. I even increased the 1st layer thickness thinking that may help. I'm at a loss now as to what needs to change to make this stay on the print bed.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Z offset is probably bjorked.
    Sometimes software uses what you enter as a global Z offset (wrong) and not an autoleveling Z offset (right) so ... you need to know what GCode it is generating to set the Z offset with.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member