1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Nothing sliced with Cura is printing on the R2

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Reece Markowsky, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reece Markowsky

Reece Markowsky New Member

Hi. I am unable to get anything to print properly that has been slided by Cura for Robo, OctoPrint and the R2. If i print the files that came with the R2 (e.g. garden gnome, 3d benchy) they work fine. If I try to print something from Cura, the first layers print very poorly and the filament stops extruding. Something seems to be totally wrong in the first few layers resulting in a failed print. Even the raft or brim itself does not print properly when slicing is done with Cura and sent to the printer with OctoPrint. I took the same STL and sliced it using the Robo itself and it prints fine. Has anybody experienced anything like this?

One thing I just noticed which I will try is that the profile I was using was not set to one of the uploaded Robo Profiles. It was using the protected high profile. I will try switching to one of the Robo profiles I imported and see if that makes a difference.

#1 Reece Markowsky, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry but I don’t use cura so unfamiliar with typical issues. Pictures would help a lot

WheresWaldo likes this.
  3. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Usually, I've had the opposite problem. Stuff from Simplify3D looked awful where through Cura it looked fine. But, I hated Cura so much that I spent (wasted) a month dialing in my S3D profile just so I could get through the end of the year without having to gouge my own eyes out.

And speaking of gouging my eyes out: Been messing with Slic3r PE lately. It has some extremely cool features, but it looks like a dog in reverse. And is slower than {fill in off color simile here}

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

Very curious to what people come up with. I'm helping a friend get his R2 working, and after fixing a smattering of issues, I can print test prints from local memory perfectly, but if I slice anything in Cura 3.5.1, the first layer comes out chalky and every subsequent layer looks like an under extrusion mess. I've got all the startup and end G-code removed from Cura, and I've simplified as much as possible without any luck. The built-in files tell me it is a slicer issue. Could Cura overwriting the e-steps and under extruding? Sorry if this is a hijack but the problem sounds identical.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you have cleared out the scripts, the only other place there are scripts is in octoprint (you'll need to open the browser to get to those).

At a guess your offset is not set right. I do mine without autoleveling and a G28 (only thing in my start up script). Then I home the machine- set the offset, level the bed and print away.

If the test files are printing ok, its likely not a machine issue. Also very much doubt Cura is writing anything to eeprom. Likely a first layer setting issue (or a forced offset- I dont know dont use Cura) and the first layer is causing the machine to underextrude.

6. Jerome Helbert

Doesn't Cura default to 2.85mm filament diameter? I know that is one of the most common issues on the 3Dprinting and FixMyPrint subreddits.

Verify your filament diameter in Cura is set to 1.75mm, otherwise you will end up we fairly drastic underextrusion.

7. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not using Octoprint, I just slice everything to a USB drive. One of the first things after removing all the startup and end G-Code was to change from 2.85 to 1.75 as I am familiar with Cura's insistence on setting the diameter of the filament to 2.85. I just went back into the machine settings and indeed it is 0.4 for the nozzle, and 1.75 for the diameter of the filament. As far as the z offset, I've spent a ton of time both leveling the bed and setting Z. With the stock prints coming out perfect, it points to Cura which is a head scratcher for me. Short of combing thru the G-code that Cura generates, I'm really at a loss. I can take pics of what is coming out if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

Guys, I figured it out. I was using the generic profile for the machine and not the ones provided from Robo. I switched to a medium profile, looked at all the first layer and wall thickness changes and realized they were totally wrong. Once I resliced with the Robo profile, it is printing perfectly. Sorry for the noise.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No worries, glad you got it sorted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.