1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 power switch blown

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ErnieN, Sep 25, 2023.

1. ErnieN

ErnieN New Member

I turn on my R2 using a remote-controlled Alexa enabled power strip, so the power switch is always switched on. But one day i turned on the strip and a loud snap and spark came out of the back of my R2. On close inspection it appears that the power switch is blown open and can't physically be switched. Can anyone direct me to disassembly instructions on getting to the switch so I can replace it? Since I can't power it on, I can't raise the bed out of the way. The power brick is working fine so hopefully the only damage is the switch.

Thanks for any help.

-Ernie

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Geof may be able to help.

Likely you can get the switch from Amazon cheap... The R1 switches I was able to do that and the C2 is really much the same (but not the same switch as the R2).

3. ErnieN

ErnieN New Member

It's not getting the switch that's the issue, it's getting TO the witch. normally you raise the bed out of the way to get at the access panel to the boards, but since I can't power it on, I can't raise the bed.

With my C2, I could unsnap the front bezel to get access to the firmware when it wouldn't function, but the R2 is different. There are actually wires that would break if I tried to unsnap the front bezel. Maybe there is a manual way to lift the bed out of the way?

Thanks,

-Ernie

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

With the power off you can usually rotate the threaded rod(s) by hand to raise/lower the print head or bed. Awkward on the C2, but can be done. Less awkward on the R1+

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

this is the same on the r2. Put on a pair of gloves and spin the rod, the bed will raise.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

ALPS Switch: SDDJE12400

The part is available from Mouser: 688-SDDJE12400