1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

how to replace hexagon nozzle?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jediknight0, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I've recently come to believe that my default hexagon nozzle on my R1 is probably worn by the half-a-spool of glow-in-the-dark filament I used to print an alien face-hugger (it came out great!). So I just purchased a hardened steel E3D nozzle from PrintedSolid... I keep hearing that the E3D nozzles work on the hexagon.

But how do I replace the hexagon nozzle? All the videos I've seen typically show the E3D hot-end nozzle replacement, not the hexagon. The videos usually show getting the hot-end up to standard temperature, grabbing the heater block, and twisting the nozzle off with another wrench. But how do I do that without hurting / crushing the little black rubber cover over the hot-end? If I remove the cover, doesn't the thermistor fall out?

Thanks for any help.

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It's pretty much exactly the same as for E3D, but you'll need to do something about that black boot to get at everything.
    FWIW, you don't need it. New Robos don't have it. You'll just need to tape the thermistor down with some high temperature tape. I'm surprised yours is still intact!

3. jediknight0

Thanks for the advice.

On my last printer, I used a little bit of RTV instead of tape. What's better, RTV (if I still have any) or a small piece of kapton tape?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either one is fine. Whichever you feel easier dealing with.

Geof likes this.
  5. jediknight0

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the new nozzle.

6. jediknight0

So I received the nozzle and I've been having a bit of trouble.

First, when I unscrewed the hexagon nozzle the block he nozzle screws into became loose... not just loose on the left/right axis but also up and down. No matter how many times I've tried to screw/unscrew the nozzle it seems like it's angled... the right side up higher than the left. It's hard to capture in pictures, but I'm 80% certain it's uneven in a way the hexagon nozzle wasn't.

Second, and perhaps related, the nozzle seems to scrape the existing filament already put down. Adjusting the Z offset helps some, but even when I adjust it to the point that the filament no longer sticks and dial it back slightly, I still see this behavior.

I'll attach a pic. That's ABS put down at .24mm height (first layer 90% height, so I guess .216mm).

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Probably the autoleveling setup being funky

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if all you changed is the nozzle i'd double check a paper leveling then go with @Mike Kelly suggestion of the auto level. is your nozzle the same as before (.4) or did you buy a different size, if you did get a different size did you input that into your slicer?

9. jediknight0

It's the same size nozzle (.4mm).

I've never done the paper-leveling thing on my robo... I've gotten it close by eye and then figured the auto-leveling would handle the rest. Is my theory flawed?

In other words, how do I un-funk the auto-leveling? ;)

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Please note that the auto-level is not really funked, it is just the way the probe/endstops are designed on the Robo. Because of the design the z Axis must travel below the level of the nozzle hitting the bed. It must do this in order to disengage one or both endstop switches. So your Robo believes that 0 in the Z axis (where the endstop is triggered) is lower than where the actual bed is. There is also some flex in the bed but we can ignore for our discussion. Hence the need to tell Robo that the endstop is offset from where the actual bed is. In the 1.0.0 version of Marlin that Robo has provided this is accomplished by using the M565 command. Since the triggering occurs below the level of the bed the offset is negative. More negative the bigger the offset. No offset and the nozzle scraps the bed.

Please note that M565 is not supported in all newer versions of Marlin. Every single pseudo-version of Robo firmware is based on Marlin 1.0.0. If Robo ever decides to move away from this buggy version and do a proper tweaking specific to the actual Robo hardware we will need to learn this all over again using a different command.

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't say flawed. I do a paper leveling all over the bed. In my instance I noticed the back of my bed was lower than the front so I shimmed my bed accordingly so the auto level has less work to do. Is this the correct way? I have no idea lol but it worked for me :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly the correct way to do it.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Awesome ! I work in a print shop so I cut some steel shim stock that's adhesive on one side :) comes in a long roll for super cheap. Can I ask what you use?

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Kitchen shelf contact paper and a hole punch, easy, cheap, what more do you need! :D

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I used standard shim steel. I had an assortment box (multiple sheets) in various thicknesses and just combined those as needed to make it level. Mine was not adhesive on one side :) Still, works like a charm.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have outlined my procedure several times before, briefly, I punch out a bunch of holes, saving the discs. working only on one side of the bed at a time, I level from front to back only and place those little adhesive discs where appropriate on the magnets. Once one side is level I move to the other side of the bed and repeat the same process, then and only then do I level from left to right. Results are that if you watch my printer printing there is almost zero movement on the Z axis while printing to tram the bed level. It is as close to perfectly aligned bed and extruder nozzle as humanly possible.

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's pretty awesome ! I mounted an indicator and used the difference in the bed as the measurement for my shim stock thickness under each corners

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I use a dial indicator, but it can be done with paper too.

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I'm going to try that as well and see how far off my measurements are