1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lead Screw Upgrade from MPJA

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Johnny Yuen, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Johnny Yuen

Johnny Yuen New Member

Hello all,

I purchased some T8 lead screw steppers from MPJA for $34.99/each. It came out to be about $70 after tax, and I must say the results are very impressive. All the connectors came stock (no soldering needed), which is a perk in comparison to the SainSmart equivalent found on Amazon. The only thing I had to do was switch the wires to match the stepper configuration found on the old stepper motors. Other than that it was pretty much plug and play. Z ribbing is gone and I am happy!

MPJA Lead Screw Upgrade: http://www.mpja.com/3D-Printer-Stepper-Motor-with-T8-Leadscrew-300mm/productinfo/32386 MI
    Printed the new lead screw coupling upgrade: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1147438

Change Line under Configuration.h in Arduino:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,400,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

Attached Files:

#1 Johnny Yuen, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    jim3Dbot, Mike Kelly and WheresWaldo like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Good find @Johnny Yuen, you should know I am a fan of finding alternative sources for the various things we want to do with our Robo's. I see that you are also using my adapter and it is working for you. Please add to your opening post that the Z steps for this flavor of lead screw should be 400, since it is a TR8 with 4 starts which makes it 8 mm travel per revolution. So it is the same edit as the Sainsmart steppers.

3. Johnny Yuen

Johnny Yuen New Member

@WheresWaldo , Yes, your adapter worked very well! I had to sand down the piece slightly but it was a well designed part.

4. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Say Johnny........I installed the same from Marlin, a few months ago..........did you revise Z max accel or max feedrate also?...mine is (accel)100mm/sec/sec & (max feed)5mm/sec. 400mm steps were right on implementing cal cube. Thanks in advance.....Jimmy