1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 on Amazon

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Adrian Stride, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Adrian Stride

Adrian Stride New Member

I had a bad clog with my hotend and decided to take apart everything. In the mean time I found a crack in the plastic holder and managed to damage my thermistor. Without researching anything properly, I went on Amazon and searched for E3D V6 because I had remembered reading it was the best upgrade. It was only $20 so I clicked order and didn't think much of it. When I started my install I found a great thread on here about how to install it and quickly saw "Do not buy from Ebay as they are poor quality knock offs and will have issues eventually". I am assuming this Amazon Item is the exact same one. Since I already had it in had and ready to install, and had received my part from Robo3D that was cracked, I decided to just put it in and go for it. I figured I would post my steps that I went through since I couldn't find much information and hopefully help someone else streamline their installation.

To get this to work, I had to modify the newest version of Marlin and change the settings to match Robo3D's settings in their latest firmware. This is because of the NTC 3950 thermistor used on the knockoffs. If you use your existing thermistor, you can follow the other directions in the forums and it should work fine.

Step one should be "Don't take anything apart until you have planned it out", which I did not follow at all. Installing the E3D v6 or the knockoffs takes away the possibility to use the existing fan mounts without modification. It is much easier to use the fan shroud that comes with the extruder and print a new parts fan. Since I was already down and taken apart, I had to tape and wire tie my parts fan to get it to print the parts fan.

If you have not already taken everything apart, print a parts fan. I went on Thingiverse.

If you are using the new thermistor, download the firmware from Robo3D for your machine and then download the newest stable firmware from Marlin. You will need to load them both in the Arduino program and modify the configuration.h file to match the Robo. You cannot just copy and paste the entire file because boards and some other files are called separately. I just went through each setting and made sure they matched. The main change is for the TEMP_SENSOR_0. It needs to be 11. This is the entire reason of doing all of this is to simply get the tables for the NTC 3950 thermistor to work. I am sure you could just replace the tables in the Robo3D firmware, but I found it easier to replace the settings in the newest Marlin firmware.

I will update this with links and pictures in the next couple days.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I notice that Amazon does sell the official E3D v6 hotends as well as the cheaper knock-offs.

Good information though so update us on how it works/installs.

3. Adrian Stride

Adrian Stride New Member

I see the official ones, but none are Amazon Prime. I am sure there are a bunch of people like me that see Prime and know they will get it in 2 days and click buy without thinking. Also the price point will make people buy them not realizing they are not equivalent. So far here is my input.

PROS
    Its cheap
    It heats up about twice as fast as my Hex
    It holds the thermistor in nicely

CONS
    It does not have the tube running out of it
    It uses a thermistor not currently support by Robo3D

The main problem I had that made a one hour job into an all night job was that when they put it together in the factory and tightened my thermistor, they went so tight that the screw cut the cable and shorted it. I spent at least two hours think it was a firmware issue and kept trying different settings to see why it was reading between 400º and 900º at room temperature with all the different settings.

Noticing that, I am assuming another con would be the tolerances.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All E3Ds come with a different thermistor type than stock, it is supported by Marlin you just have to edit the configuration.h.

Good work :)

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Printed Solid uses USPS priority for 2 day shipping ;)

Buy from him and support the people who make the innovative quality products, not cheap chinese knockoff crap

Geof, danzca6 and KTMDirtFace like this.
  6. Adrian Stride

Adrian Stride New Member

I figured they came with the same type as I had on my R1, type 5 in Marlin.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They come with a 100k Ohm NTC Thermistor - Semitec

type 5 is 100K thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2

Which is a type 5

Not the same as the factory one from the Robo.:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 //robo

That is the default thermistor type (1) from Robo :)

Geof likes this.