1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved AC Heated Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by regor, Mar 7, 2016.

1. regor

regor Member

Want to try a 600W ac silicon pad with a SSR relay for switching from ramps 1.4 board using original glass bed. Do I have to modify the firmware at all? Thermistor is valued at 100k ohms.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. regor

regor Member

4. regor

regor Member

I noticed the post you referred me to had a DC to DC SSR due to his heater being DC. Mine is a AC heater and DC to AC SSR.
    Is this bang-bang update still applicable in the firmware?

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

600W is way overkill, I went with a 300W and it heats up as fast as the 40W hotend. The more wattage the more switching the SSR will have to do to not over/undershoot the temps. Second thing is you will need a bunch of info on the specific thermistor used or supply your own. That is what I am going through right now. The Thermistor that was supplied reads about 30-50% too low with the specified table, so when the Robo reported a bed temp of 60°C it was actually measuring approximately 92°C. Most silicone heaters are only rated to about 200°C maximum, you can't get any hotter (if you can even get that hot), the one I have taps out right around 160°C when it slows temperature gains to a crawl. So all you buy is speed and that is not always a good thing.

You will still need to use Bang-Bang!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.