1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Dang I don't have right connectors for that motor, and I don't feel like hacking the stock connector off for some kinda Frankenstein connection. off to look for the right connector to order. I have the right connectors and pins for the side that plugs into the motor but not the motor side connector.

I tried to dismantle an old stepper to steal its connector but the thing was glued/welded/soldered in there it was impossible to get it out without busting it.

The matching ones that I do have are PHR-6 for the connector and SPH-002T-P0.5S for the crimp pins... but I need the opposite.

I'm pretty sure this is what I need. Ordered 10 and 10 of the angled ones.
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/B6B-PH-K-S(LF)(SN)/455-1708-ND/926615

My guess is that extra 5mm on the higher torque motor is just for that connector lol.

#201 KTMDirtFace, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yep that is the connector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  3. KTMDirtFace

Cool thanks :). I'll just solder one on as a dangler with some shrink tube or make a holder for it incorporated into my mount.

4. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

This is an important detail. I'm trying to model my carriage to fit with the 25mm motor on the back.

5. KTMDirtFace

Yea it likely wont fit unless you shrink-en up the belt holder? doesn't look like it will in my mockup anyway.

Edit: But Zip Ties are your friend lol..could make the belt mount narrower....
    [​IMG]

On another note, I don't know how but i keep breaking my models. When I go to filet them they turn inside out. or crazy things happen. Doesn't seem to be any way to figure out why in MOI.

#205 KTMDirtFace, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  6. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

In one of the original designs you made, you fit a full 40mm (stock) motor on there by moving the hotend forward. I'm doing exactly that, but only enough to be able to fit the 25mm motor.

7. KTMDirtFace

Oh yea :)
    Derp.

I should just use that one, I printed it out and its sitting right in front of me and works.

8. KTMDirtFace

Thomas has a review up. Hes using the 13nm motor with no problems.

Also his mount design is super simple. I kinda like it.

9. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

I watched that. I'm super excited that that motor worked out for him.
    I think the only thing he said about it is that you might want to print slower if using a more difficult material in 3mm. He had zero problems with the 1.75mm.

10. KTMDirtFace

LOL oh yea.. Fail...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think im going to just copy thomas's mount and call it a day.

11. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

That could be tweaked slightly to work just fine. Maybe move the hole and bracket forward about 5mm. Alternatively, put a slit in the bracket wide enough for the motor shaft. The structure of it will still be solid when the motor and Titan are installed.

12. KTMDirtFace

Also I could move the belt mount to the other corner (back right )...and it would be fine also.

There was so much empty space up front that I threw a hole in to route wires.

13. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Do that and the other things that I mentioned and you'll be sure to have a working model. And it will also fit the 25mm thick motor.

Full disclosure, I ordered a 25mm motor, so I'm working on making that fit.

#213 Marcus T, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  14. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

I suppose that I should also add that of the designs I've seen here, yours will work the best for how I want to set this up.

The problem I have is that the changes that I want to make to your design would require drawing it from scratch due to importing a non-native filetype.

I'll just have to give it a try, though.

Do you mind uploading the current model so I can try to make these tweaks?

15. KTMDirtFace

Yea I can.. I have been trying to learn fusion 360...so the latest stuff is in that.

I'll upload in a few minjutes. But again, my carriage is .5mm wider that normal, and my bearing holes on the carriage are larger to fit the brass bushings.

16. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

That's fine. The wider carriage is actually a good thing for this. And I'll find a way to use the barrings I have.

17. KTMDirtFace

#217 KTMDirtFace, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  18. KTMDirtFace

I mean the hole to hole distance for the rods to go through is .5mm wider than stock or I was getting binding with my brass bushings.

19. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

YES! The second one imported as an assembly rather than one part. I can work with that one. Beautiful. You're the man.

20. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

[​IMG]
    Alright, KTM. This is what I have so far. The bracket is moved forward to allow either the 20mm or 25mm motor to be mounted. The Belt attachment has been moved to the other side to make motor mounting easier. A 6mm slit was added to the bracket to allow mounting of the motor without removing belts (for maintenance). The hole for the extruder was lengthened which should hopefully be enough space to remove the v6 without removal of the Titan or motor. The small cut between the bracket and belt mount should be enough to run wires from the hotend (heater, thermistor, and fan).

I'm still thinking about a print cooling fan. It would be nice if mounting points for that were also in the model, but one of the many toolless fan mounts should still work. This will require testing to confirm.

KTMDirtFace likes this.