1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Need better accuracy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathanfish, Jun 15, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Nathanfish So you buddy with the TAZ 4 now has it dialed in for an 8" part, what happens if he needs to print a 10" part or a 4" part? What if he changes vendors of filaments, or goes from PET-G to PET-T? Changing STEPS or any other parameter for that matter will only get him accurate parts for that single run, if he were to print is a second time with anything changed I am sure he will need to calibrate the steps again. That was backward thinking on the part of TAZ Tech Support. Basically you are building in errors into your printer setup to account for unknown material properties. It is stupid and I have said so many times on this forum. Unfortunately, it is the way it was done from the very beginning and we humans hate change and need to be dragged kicking and screaming to better ways of doing things.

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

It would be better to print that ballpoint pen mount thing and calibrate your e-steps so that when X or Y are told to move 100mm that it draws a 100mm long line on the paper taped to the bed for testing purposes.

From there you then adjust your model to compensate for material shrinkage/expansion.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just a note here, building in errors is not always a bad thing. If you know precisely how you raw materials work, building in errors can result in dimensional accurate final parts. Back to LEGO for a moment. They build in precise errors into their molds since they use their own formula for ABS and know it's properties completely. That way they can keep their final dimensions precise. We are not Chemical Engineers, nor are we creating the filaments we use so there is simply no we we can be 100% accurate with our settings over a range of parts.

4. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Well he thinks it will scale. So basically he is dialing the steps to the material he is using. I told him to print something in pla and see what it comes out. He said that was the first thing taz support recommended doing like it was no big deal.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As I mentioned, a stupid way to do things:eek:

And what if he changes layer size or number of perimeters? You see what a kludge this is?

But as they say, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while."

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Even what @TRAVIS KEMP has done won't necessarily get you any closer. Too much moving mass. You need accuracy and repeatability, you need to minimize the moving mass and/or use much more precise and stronger stepper motors that can overcome 100% of the inertia applied by the moving mass. Besides this he did nothing to change the belts to anything more accurate.

A question: Does the Trinus use lead screws or ball screws? I suspect at their price point, provided they can actually deliver, it is lead screws.

#26 WheresWaldo, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

But would later height or perimeters really factor in that much? Smaller later heights shrinking differently? I could tell on my test print last night that even measuring it while it was still warm it was coming out. 010" big. Once it cooled it was pretty close to 6". I guess that's just what we deal with using FDM. Didn't really think about switching manufacturers of PETG either. I was having problems with esun so I bought a few rolls of MG chemicals.

8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Keeping the moving mass low is why I want to build a Herculean style machine. From looking at the cad model of it I don't see how I could adapt ball screws to the design without still using belts or multiple motors.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Nathanfish This is one of the points I was trying to make. Change something simple like the supplier and you end up with different final measurements. Even though we want to think it's all the same, PETG formulas differ from one supplier to another, and hence will print differently (PETG ≠ PETG ≠ PETG) .

Since extrusion amounts are calculated from other parameters if you change any of the extrusion parameters it can have an effect on other dimensions, likely minute, but still measurable.

#29 WheresWaldo, Jun 16, 2016
  10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

He took a lot of the slop out of the motion platform by changing it to a setup with tighter tolerance interfaces (replacing the aluminum rods that were undersized, etc.), and he's upgrading to more powerful steppers to address the inertia issue.

But yeah, like I said before, the belts need to be eliminated to really do anything about reliable positioning accuracy at speed.

They appear to be leadscrews, but I suspect a lot of the gains on accuracy will have more to do with a more rigid framework out of steel vs. the plastic framework the Robo has.

I mean, if you look at actual honest-to-god CNC machines, they have really robust steel frames that everything is build into. Rigidity is important. That's where @TRAVIS KEMP 's mods will start to pay off as he keeps going down the path he's on.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Then a move to ball screws on the Trinus will also help.

With Travis' current setup, I am sure he can get very good accuracy at slow print speeds.

One other consideration most people forget is that microstepping is based on current not actual stepper steps, so theoretically a 400 step stepper with 8 microsteps should be more accurate than a 200 step stepper with 16 microsteps. So you could conclude that 400 steps + 16 microsteps would be even better with regard to part accuracy. But we are nearing the limits of compute power with all these Arduino 2560 based printer boards and there needs to be a wholesale move to 32-bit boards to make this a real solution.

#31 WheresWaldo, Jun 16, 2016