1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Need better accuracy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathanfish, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Specifically printing with petg. I know it has very little shrinkage which is one reason why i print it. On this particular template I'm about .020" small over 5.3". They want everything within +-.010". Does that sound like a shrinkage problem and I just need to scale my models to 1.0033ish to compensate? Should I be able to hit +-.010 consistently with the robo?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For any given material you better know stone cold exactly how it behaves in your environment to get that level of accuracy.
    You might want to consider a different style of printer if the needs are that precise routinely. This is not a commercial grade printer...

That said, sure... If it is consistently under by that amount then scale it and nail it.
    :)

I have found that if you are willing to measure/tweak/adjust you can get some really tight tolerances. Getting them repeatable consistently would be hard, but if you can print/measure/adjust/reprint then you can dial it right in.

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Yeah I realize that is a lot to ask of an $800 printer. I've been shopping around but even going up to $5k I haven't been able to find anything that suits my needs. Someone pointed me towards building a Herculean (maybe you) but I'm worried I'll even have problems tuning that. Any suggestions on a more commercial machine for $5k max? I would want a large build volume if I was spending that much too.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Depends on how fast you are pushing it.

Generally speaking, if greater accuracy is needed, print in finer layers at slower speeds so that the inertia of the X & Y axes are less of a factor (Z-axis movement is rarely an issue so much as Z-axis rigidity while the X-axis is rapidly moving).

This all assumes you've calibrated all of the axes to move properly. You can do some minor scaling to compensate for material shrinkage, but no amount of scaling will compensate for a machine that isn't properly tuned.

EDIT: My $350 Monoprice Maker Select has been consistently printing at the exact sizes I design parts to, but I print things at 40mm/s for PLA and 15-20mm/s for PETG and just let things run overnight/etc. in an enclosed area so that no errant drafts cause any material shocks.

I attribute most of my success with that printer to it being a steel frame that is well assembled though.

Point is that a more expensive printer isn't necessarily going to be more accurate unless you get something known for good QC and packaging like the Taz6.

5. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I have simplify set to run 60mm/s and adjust speed while it's printing from 60%-90% i also have turned down my acceleration and jerk settings so that has helped quite a bit. I may move acceleration down even further.

6. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Not really sure what else I can tune. I calibrated my extruder at 105 but I could tell some of my prints weren't coming out square so i turned that down to 101-102.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am not even sure most print services are that accurate. Take for example Shapeways own specs

Nylon ± 0.15 mm, then ± 0.15 % of longest axis
    PLA ± 0.5 mm
    Frosted Detail Plastic ± 0.1 - 0.2 mm for every 100 mm
    High Definition Acrylate ± 0.1 - 0.2 mm for every 100 mm
    Metallic Plastic (Alumide) ± 0.15 mm, then ± 0.15 % of longest axis
    Acrylic ± 0.1 mm

Of course they use industrial/commercial printers. I really believe you have as much chance of hitting PowerBall as getting consistent results even close to this. Maybe you can get a single print run to be this accurate.

Even the king of plastic, LEGO, only certain relative positions are maintained with high accuracy. To paraphrase Google Android. 'They just have to fit together not be the same.'

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

So there's probably nothing for $5k that could run that accurate? I know im pretty much trying to compete with stratasy printers with an $800 printer.

9. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Maybe that's why the stratasys prints I have looked at look like they print with a .3mm or even smaller nozzle.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not really and as @WheresWaldo points out, even those would need tuning to get there. Those are CNC machine style accuracy numbers.

To maximize quality you have to make a linear relationship between resolution and speed. As one goes up.the other goes down ... twice the resolution implies at least half the speed..

@tesseract did some amazing high resolution prints, but slowly...

11. daniel871

Keep in mind the metric vs. imperial unit differences, too.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes .01 inch is .254 mm but you can see you only get marginally better using a print service. I still contend that you can get this on a single print with a few trials and wasted prints, but there is no way to achieve this consistently. It will be the same series of attempts each time you need to print something. Anything printed that will be very complex or large could significantly add to the development time if that is dependent on getting a prototype using FDM 3D printers to print them.

By the way, Shapeways does not use FDM printers for any material type except PLA and they quote 0.02" (0.5 mm) accuracy numbers. So even they can't get this type of printer any closer.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly.

14. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

What is the biggest disadvantage to an FDM machine? Belts? Plastic shrinkage? Are there any diy ball screw driven machines? I think the physical limitations of melting plastic and trying to hold tight tolerances just don't work together. Even a stratasys 900 says accuracy of .0015" per inch. So my Robo holding .020" over 5.3" really isn't that bad.

I can see what you guys are saying tho. Getting one part to run consistent is oprobably possible but being that I print tooling there isn't much I print twice.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Material properties, is probably the biggest issue. Backlash on mechanical parts being another.

16. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I have a co-worker that has a taz 5 and he called them up because he was off about. 030" at 8". They told him to just adjust his steps per mm until he was good. I know you guys had said to not adjust that but he's confident he can get his prints within. 010". But like you guys said I think he'll have problems printing different parts. I gave him 4 decent sized check fixtures they want within. 010" because I didn't want to mess with them. Think he can do it by calibrating the way he did?

#16 Nathanfish, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can absolutely get it dialed in. For a print, or two, or three.
    More maybe if you are lucky or willing to slow down a lot.

The problem is that you can't depend on that being consistent and you are going to need to test/adjust frequently.
    At some point the mechanical bits will shift (or flex or stretch) a tiny amount and you will be off again.

Adjusting the steps will get you past minor manufacturing differences and really close, but consistency is not going to be certain.

Nathanfish likes this.
  18. daniel871

Doing something along the lines of what @TRAVIS KEMP has been posting in the Shoutbox lately is probably the only way to approach it, but even then you need to switch from a belt drive system on X & Y to a CNC mill-style ballscrew/leadscrew system and accept the resulting slowdown in machine speeds.

EDIT: Something like the TRINUS concept on Kickstarter, for example, as far as the concept/mechanics go.

Nathanfish likes this.
  19. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Any idea what kind of speeds are possible with a ball screw driven machine? Something along the lines of a Herculean with ball screws would be awesome.

20. daniel871

Depends entirely on the quality of the parts used and the motors driving them.

Keep in mind that the truly impressive CNC machines with ballscrews on all axes cost several thousand dollars before you even mount the controller on them.