1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prometheus V2 Robo R1+

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Geof, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hello !
    I recently got a Promethius V2 to try out on my Robo r1+.

Thank you goes to @RP Iron Man!

A little back story...

My printer is a Robo R1+. It has an E3DV6 with dual ducted parts fans and a XXL led screen. My slicer is simplify 3D.

Here is the Promethius and she is quite a nicely machined hotend. Mine came with enough wire to remove my wiring harness and replace... I opted to not do this and instead I reused my heater which already had the jst connector for our harness, cut the wires and install a jst connector on the thermistor and also on the hotend fan.

The thermistor is held in with a bolt to hold very similar to the e3d and the heat sink fan bolts directly to the hotend which makes for a very nice slim feature.

As far as installation goes it was super easy! The Promethius is mounted with the stock quick release our printers come with! You do have to ditch the stock fan holders and print new holders for the fans, I recommend doing this before hand. I'm reusing my E3D ducted holders.

You will also have to print a new carriage to allow for the tube the Promethius uses (just like E3D) or drill our your stock carriage. I had already drilled mine for the E3D upgrade so easy enough. The Promethius does use a Semitec so you will have a firmware change which is the same as E3D so business as usual :)
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

I've always had great results with the E3D so trying out the Promethius may seem like it is not exactly fair as E3D is the go to for most mods... Let me tell you my first impression is the Promethius is amazing. I'm actually getting better print quality at .2 mm layer height and 60 mm/s. See the deprime test below

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This is my first print. The red one is the Promethius the green was with my E3d. The red one had a bit of strings but I printed them both with exactly the same settings. I have dropped the temp from 200 to 197 and am printing again...BUT...

HOLY COW! That's the best first print I've had with a new hotend! There will be plenty more to come with bridge tests and the such but I wanted to take the time to share my first thoughts on the Promethius V2, add in some about the ease of install on the R1+ and see what everyone thinks! Feel free to add opinions, test objects to print with it ... Anything you feel is appropriate :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nice job documenting this.

RP Iron Man and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is... an abs print....let me start with this is woth nonsense settings. I hate abs i dont print in it but figured since i have abs id run a fast fat layer print.

Material:abs
    Speed: 80mm/s
    Infill: 5%
    Part fans: off

Thoughts.... ABS IS TERRIBLE MATERIAL

Lol here is a few pics
    20160713_162440.jpg

20160713_162421.jpg

4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Eagerly following this topic. Thanks, I am paying close attention.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

A ghost from destiny (thingiverse file not mine) for my newphews birthday. Printed with the promethius. Hatchbox blue pla, hatchbox transparent yellow pla. No supports :). .3mm layer height 75 mm/s 20160720_063758.jpg

20160720_063801.jpg

4 piece print :)

RP Iron Man and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

20160720_203033.jpg 20160720_203215.jpg Printed off thingiverse again.

This is another round of pokemon go craze to fill the pokestops. I got the idea from @Printed Solid twitter page!

Printed with the promethiusV2 with 4 top and bottom layers 3 shells and 9 at a time.

No infill :)
    No supports

80mm/s
    20160720_203215.jpg

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

More POKEMON lol. A army goes oit and lasts no time at all so the promethius is getting one heck of a work out lol

Printed in esun red pla, 75mm/s, 5% infill, .3 layer height.

20160724_091702.jpg

Picture for fun!

20160724_092234.jpg

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Back to promethius printing after a short break for nozzle testing...more to come on that!

Promethius handled like a champ. This was in total about 30 hours of printing. Going to coat in xtc 3d. Esun red(yea more orange than red), hatchbox transparent orange was done on my ditto pro, tinkerine natural.
    20160808_105724.jpg

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok last print :) from thingiverse .2mm layer height 20% infill. 190/50 temps.80 mm/s :)
    20160810_153935.jpg

I have to say i am enjoying this hotend thoroughly and have logged tons of hrs of print time with zero issues. Highly recommend!

WheresWaldo and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

So are you saying that you are getting better performance out of the Promethius V2 over the E3D V6? I tried looking up dimensions and see that it does have the "same standard J head slot dimensions" but no real numbers. If you were able to use the part cooling fans for the E3D and this, then the overall length must be the same or very close. They seem to be about the same price as well. And you can adjust the melting zone which is interesting. Just some quick reading on this today, but would like to learn more. I think Tom has a review I might watch tonight.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I am getting more print hours with no maintenance than I am on the E3d. The E3D nozzles are easier to change and I think a little cheaper but the V2 is stainless nozzles which is nice. I've ran 2 spools of abrasive now and havn't noticed any issues with the nozzle. I've had no jams but do still use an oiler (I'm told its not neccessary but maybe @RP Iron Man can verify that before I do something silly).

The only thing I dont like about the V2 is you cant torch it...that being said I have had mine installed for over a month and had zero issues. I print every day in a mix of colors and materials for a minimum of 6 hours monday-thursday and the printer runs print after print Friday - Sunday night.

I run between .2-.3 layer height on most things, 60mm/s min, 80mm/s max.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Stainless is not as hard as hardened nozeles (although somewhat harder than brass).
    If you run a bunch of the composites you probably want to jump to hardened at some point.

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  13. danzca6

That's awesome Geof. I don't know @RP Iron Man, but a 21 yr old already designing a hotend like this has a good future ahead. Looks like he has another kickstarter coming up as well. I would like to try one out. I might have to get one ordered. Not sure why I haven't seen more about this sooner. Very cool and thanks for sharing your experience with it. Now for nozzles, just saw this - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dddmaterial/3d-printer-tungsten-premium-nozzle-reloaded and that might be overkill over a hardened nozzle.

EDIT: Wow..Eric was actually 19 at the time he came out with this? Amazing. Now where have I been the last couple years to have missed this hotend?

#13 danzca6, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  14. danzca6

Oh, and with that kind of print schedule (and you having 3 printers now) I see why you have the mini warehouse of filament in your house. ;)

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

His next kick starter is going to be awesome. I have some show and tell pieces but i have to wait for his ok to share them :). Im backing him on it for sure.

Lol 4 printers. The 4th one is down with bed issues so no pictures yet lol.

16. danzca6

Yeah I signed up for notification when that one starts. Sounds interesting. Any date range on when that will be on Kickstarter?

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think next month last time we talked

18. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

Sorry for the long absence! I've been busy working on something new :) Since you guys are talking about the upcoming Kickstarter I thought I should chime in.

For the past several months, we have been working on an upgrade for the Prometheus Hot End called "The Prometheus System" which is a unique solution for multi-filament 3D printing! This will allow you to print multi-color objects, print with support material, and print multi-material objects with composite structures and special materials.

We are a couple of weeks away from the Kickstarter campaign for this new product so I wanted to reach out to keep you all in the loop. Check out the Kickstarter landing page and sign up to receive a notification when we launch our Kickstarter. By signing up you will be the first to know when we launch and get the first pick of the discounted Early Bird rewards!

I will start a new discussion thread for "The Prometheus System" next week when we release the teaser video along with more information about the product. We are really excited about this new product launch and we hope you are too!

----------------------------
    **PRE-KICKSTARTER CLEARANCE SALE**

As we approach our Kickstarter launch, we are offering a 15% discount for all orders placed before the campaign. Head over to our website and use the discount code: DTA15OFF to receive a 15% discount for your order. We will also include a free 2 color 3D printed keychain with your order! This is just a small sample of what our new product is capable of!

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Eric

Geof, Ryan TeGantvoort and danzca6 like this.
  19. danzca6

Eric

You are an impressive young man. Can't wait to see this in action. Many attempts to using one hotend with multiple filaments and none have really taken off. I am very curious to what your approach is. Does it include a whole new hotend, or is the current V2 still a valid investment? I like the 15% off, but don't necessarily want to buy it if the new system will replace it with a whole new version of the hotend that isn't upgradable. My guess, if there are changes to the V2 that you have an upgrade path.

Geof and RP Iron Man like this.
  20. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@danzca6 The V2 is a wise investment :) My new product builds off of the 1.75mm version of the Prometheus V2 so now is the time to grab your V2 hot end before the campaign!

You are correct, there will be an upgrade option on the Kickstarter for existing Prometheus V2 owners.

Stay tuned for more info about the upcoming Kickstarter!

Cheers,
    Eric

Geof, Ryan TeGantvoort and danzca6 like this.