1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered how often will i have to change the robo 3d r1+ parts?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by moelafi, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sadly, this is why I suggest folks buy it through a storefront like Amazon where their return policy rules the roost and Robo gets it back. Lemons do happen in anything and when assembled by the lowest bidder in Singapore (or wherever) you are going to have a noticeable number of birth defects.

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have a lot scattered around in posts on this forum.

Here is a piece of a huge DePrime (scaled 400%) that I had laying on my desk. The lines on the side are visual, you can't feel them. That is the bottom showing on the tio :)

20160921_153813.jpg

This was part of a large run of larger test pieces we did for comparing some large-bore nozzles for @Printed Solid with the Volcano adapter versions on the other Robo. It was interesting data.

#22 mark tomlinson, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  3. Oisin

Oisin Member

I agree now, Mark. I was a complete 3d printing noob at the time and wasn't to know.

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, @daniel871 has had a rough time of it with Robos :) I remember that tale of woe.

Geof likes this.
  6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

It's a shame that my original R1 thread had been vaporized when the forums software was "upgraded", because then you'd really get to see a tale of woe.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey @daniel871 if those beds are in good shape still id buy them if the price was right :)

Enclosures too :p

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd sell you mine if I knew where they were...(the enclosures)

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I always forget you run topless lol how bout the whole beta ;-)

10. Krish

Krish Member

Personally I have had to do the below on my R1 with Auto bed Levelling:
    - My bed wires caught on fire within 1 month of me getting the printer (sent it back to robo and all they did was remove the plug meaning it was now harder to detach the bed for maintenance)
    - Hotend to E3Dv6 due to my original melting/leaking at the 3 month mark
    - In between I lost interest in the printer for a good year because it was a hassle to use.
    - Power Supply went around the 2 year mark
    - Multiple frustrating attempts to fix the z-ribbing by printing brackets, changing firmware, fiddling with couplers with ball bearings
    - Replaced z axis with integrated leadscrew steppers
    - I am now about to replace the LM8UU bearings because the bed ones are making noise and the carriage ones seem to have lost some balls causing play.

The only way I was able to recover some cost was to sell some printed items. In hindsight, although I may have recovered cost - I have not recovered my time that I've put in to fixing and fiddling with it to print right over the last 2 years... but its all part of 'hobbies' amirite?

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Oisin

Oisin Member

Same here on the bed wires catching fire, Krish.
    Rubber boot on the standard hex hotend cracked (3 times for 3 different boots) due to stiffening from constant heating and cooling so I swapped it out for an E3DV6.
    PSU also went on mine twice.
    Same as you with the ribbing and replacing the z-axis leadscrews.

Not trying to one-up anyone. Just saying that stuff to show that this printer is more of a really really expensive paperweight that sometimes works a bit for a few hours.

daniel871 and Krish like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And across two I have had zero power supplies die (they are $35 on Amazon and I do have a spare now) zero fires (but I did rewire the bed with high-amperage disconnects rather than the molex connector they originally used) and all of the down time has been me fiddling or upgrading. Yes, both have E3D hotends (one the v6 and the other the volcano). Got the first one at the end of the original KS -- so Oct 2013. Melted many pallets of filament through them.

Do they require fiddling? Yes, initially they often do (I have help several folks get their R1+ up and running so even those often need some initial love). However given the amount of plastic I have feed through them they held up pretty well.

My biggest complaint all along has been the initial difficulty in getting them up and running. That is extra nasty when you are new to the technology and are expecting everything to work. Amateur mistakes happen to us all as well :) so that doesn't make it more fun.

Print the printable parts (because sometimes things break) and if you really don't want downtime pick up some LM8UU bearings and some Nema 17s along with the mega 'parts pack' :

https://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Printer-Controller-Stepper-Heatsink/dp/B0111ZSS2O

and you can replace/repair anything.

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

This is awesome! Glad you have stuck with it. We will get ya sorted buddy

Here is a thread with a bunch of pictures off my r1+ for funsies

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/prometheus-v2-robo-r1.8831/

14. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Nicely put !

Geof likes this.